21 October 2019

Frilling rescue for lizard at Marist College

| Michael Weaver
Join the conversation
2
Lizard rescued from Marist College

ACT Fire and Rescue station officer Morris Brighty with the bearded dragon rescued at Marist College in the early hours of this morning. Photo: ESA.

Firefighters from ACT Fire and Rescue can now add reptile rescuers to their resume after a lizard enclosure caught fire at Marist College in Pearce, near Woden, in the early hours this morning (21 October).

The firefighters arrived just after midnight to find the building that housed the lizard enclosure filled with smoke.

The blaze started when a heating pad in the lizard enclosure caught alight and set off smoke alarms in the building.

Two pumpers, a hazmat unit, a breathing apparatus unit and a commander were on the scene for about 90 minutes and quickly extinguished the blaze.

However, the tale of this trail-blazing lizard took a turn when they discovered that a bearded dragon had made its own escape plan. Firefighters scaled the area.

Within a puff, they found a bearded dragon lizard that was apparently frilled to be rescued.

No other animals were in the enclosure.

The damage was confined to the lizard enclosure, with the lucky lizard happy to pose for a photo with ACT Fire and Rescue station officer Morris Brighty.

Join the conversation

2
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Latest

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.