The Canberra Liberals have renewed their vow to stop light rail, describing yesterday’s announcement that contracts have been signed and work will begin on the project next month as “the most arrogant act in the ACT’s history”.
They have also called on the Government to publish the full contract and any sub-contracts in full.
“For years we have been raising concerns about this project which are echoed by thousands of Canberrans and countless financial, transport and economic experts,” Leader of the Opposition Jeremy Hanson and Shadow Minister for Transport Alistair Coe said yesterday.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
“People could be forgiven for thinking that the government is trying to blackmail Canberrans. The government has actively worked against the best interests of ratepayers by putting the CFMEU’s and a global consortium’s interests ahead of Canberra families,” Mr Hanson said.
Mr Coe said there were serious unanswered questions about the legitimacy of the contract on the back of a previously existing Memorandum of Understanding between UnionsACT and the ACT government.
“These concerns have also been raised by the Canberra Metro consortium,” he said.
“Given this MOU seems to underpin all procurement, there are questions about the tender process for light rail which must be investigated. Therefore, the legality of this contract is potentially in doubt.
“The Canberra Liberals will stop light rail if we are elected in October. We have made our intentions clear and people can vote accordingly. If we are elected, it is because the people of Canberra have given us a clear mandate to stop this project because of the bad financial, economic and transport outcomes.”