Over 60 million people all around the globe have fallen in love with the story and the music that makes MAMMA MIA! the ultimate feel-good musical. A celebration of love, laughter, family and friendship, MAMMA MIA! is set on a Greek island paradise and inspired by the story-telling magic of ABBA’s timeless songs. It is high energy, fun, and after having seen the show myself last week, I can say it leaves you with a warm, nostalgic fuzzy feeling.
To celebrate this epic musical featuring 22 of ABBA’s greatest hits playing at the Canberra Theatre Centre, First Edition Bar and Dining at Novotel Canberra has created a Greek-inspired 3-course dinner.
The best thing about the menu (apart from the delicious food on offer) is that guests can enjoy their entrée and main before the show and then come back post-show to debrief, continue singing and enjoy dessert. If you happen to be spending the night at the Novotel you can elect to have dessert served in your room. All for $59 per person!
First Edition Bar and Dining Executive Chef Jennie Tressler has done a brilliant job of matching the mood of the musical with the menu, injecting fun and pops of colour into the three courses.
I was invited to sample the dishes last week and was immediately salivating when I read through the menu:
*Guests get to choose one dish from every course
- Zucchini Blossoms;
- Zucchini flowers stuffed with spiced long rice and a goat cheese mousse;
- Salmon taramasalata;
- Smoked salmon combined with cream cheese, topped with Yarra Valley caviar and dill, served with homemade toasted pita bread.
- Grilled Swordfish;
- Swordfish brushed with citrus juice and oregano, then grilled and served with a warm green bean salad and kipfler potatoes in a tahini dressing;
- Lamb Kebabs;
- Greek-inspired lamb kebabs served with new potatoes in preserved lemons, smoked eggplant purée, and mint yoghurt.
- Smashed Baklava;
- Yia-Yia’s baklava with a twist! Enjoy smashed baklava, rose cream and toffee pistachio served in a glass;
- A traditional semolina almond cake drowned in citrus syrup with vanilla bean ice cream.
Each course was delicious with the greek inspired ingredients but I must say the desserts were the highlight. Bursting with flavour and colour in equal amounts, they would be the perfect end to an evening after seeing Mamma Mia! on stage and having already enjoyed two courses before the show.
If you haven’t already been to First Edition Bar & Dining at Novotel Canberra, you are definitely in for a surprise as it does not look like your typical hotel restaurant. Following a recent refurbishment of the first-floor mezzanine space, the place has been transformed. With comfortable chesterfields and velvet lounge chairs, the mood and styling are one of an old world reading room full of quirks and interesting details.
The Mamma Mia! Greek-inspired 3-course dinner at First Edition Bar & Grill is available until the 17th of December. Advance bookings are required – contact (02) 6245 5000 for further details and reservations, or visit their website.
*Sophia dined as a guest of First Edition Bar & Dining.