5 November 2021

Man accused of raping Brittany Higgins committed to Supreme Court for trial

| Albert McKnight
Join the conversation
1
Brittany Higgins

Brittany Higgins alleged she was raped in Parliament House in March 2019. Photo: Social media.

The man accused of raping Brittany Higgins has been committed to stand trial.

Earlier this year, ACT Policing alleged 26-year-old Bruce Lehrmann had sexual intercourse with Ms Higgins without her consent at Parliament House on 23 March 2019.

Police received the first report of the matter in April 2019, a formal complaint was made in February 2021, and in August, Mr Lehrmann was issued a summons to appear in court.

The ACT Magistrates Court has heard he will plead not guilty to one count of sexual intercourse without consent and is living in Queensland.

“Hello, it’s Bruce speaking,” he said when announcing his appearance in the court again over the phone on Friday (5 November).

READ ALSO Brittany Higgins’ accused rapist appears in court for the first time

His lawyer, Warwick Korn, said the case was ready to be committed to trial and Magistrate Robert Cook committed it to the Supreme Court.

The first time it will be heard in the higher court is 18 November, but the date for the trial will be decided on in the future.

Join the conversation

1
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Latest

Well I was hoping the trial to start shortly, otherwise we may see the media referring to Saint Brittany Higgins.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.