Man charged over Kingston Hotel death to face court again this month

Albert McKnight 1 March 2021
Warren Hordpenko

Warren Hordpenko died after an alleged altercation at the Kingston Hotel in July 2020. Photo: Supplied.

A Canberra man charged over the bashing death of a stranger at the Kingston Hotel last year will have his court case heard again in three weeks’ time.

Kerry Kourpanidis, 35, from Griffith has previously pleaded not guilty to the murder of Warren Hordpenko from the NSW South Coast town of Dalmeny.

Australian Federal Police have alleged that on 5 July 2020, Mr Kourpanidis entered the Kingston Hotel at about 9:00 pm and assaulted the 44-year-old who died at the scene after the incident.


READ MORE: Man charged with murder over Kingston Hotel death


Mr Kourpanidis was arrested in Civic four days later.

Police also confirmed that no weapon or glass was involved in the alleged altercation and that the two men did not know each other.

Mr Kourpanidis, who is being held in custody, appeared via telephone in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday (1 March) in front of Magistrate Louise Taylor.


READ ALSO: Victim of Kingston Hotel altercation identified


Since the matter was before the court in early February, the prosecutor said he had “received representations” from Mr Kourpanidis’ lawyers that were still being considered, so he was seeking an adjournment for further negotiations.

Magistrate Taylor said bail was not applied for and she formally refused it. The matter has been adjourned to 22 March.


What's Your Opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

 Top
Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site