[First filed: July 30, 2009 @ 09:51]
This one came across my desk and could not be ignored. Time to clear the schedule for many days following, the aftermath is almost certain to be regrettable. From the event’s Facebook page:
- Merry Fest is the world’s smallest festival – proudly presented by The Merry Muse and The Canberra Musicians Club… This is a line-up to drink Polsiki Warka and eat Polish dumplings to. Featuring The Fire & Rope Band, Mr Fibby, Dub Dub Goose, The Ellis Collective and a poetry slam battle – Team Fleetwood vs Team Jacinta…
• Dub Dub Goose – The head of Beth Monzo, the arms and legs of Dahahoo and the torso of The Andi & George Band all stitched together and brought back to life with a thousand volts of surging reggae infused electricity “they had the jam packed crowd jumping and jiving… funky, brassy, and jazzy, with a hint of reggae beats” (The RiotAct)
• The Fire & Rope Band – The Fire & Rope Band met at The Majura Gun Club and it was their love of Irish music, poitin and pistol shooting that prompted them to form a musical group. The Fire & Rope Band plays traditional and original Irish music. The Fire and Rope Band is comprised of members from some of the Territories finest groups. For one night only listen to ballad singing over the smell of gun-cotton and potato whiskey.
• The Ellis Collective –The singlets and stubbie coolers are back for their only Canberra gig in 2009 with all seven members present and correct – there will be plentiful breakfast beers, black coffee, cigarettes, broken teeth and busted dreams, confessionals, apologies, simple tunes and soft harmonies. “the pick of the festival… I was blown away” (BMA Magazine)
• Mr Fibby – Zavi, Seraphina, Borracio and No Important have illegally migrated thousands of miles in the musty bowels of an overpriced shipping container to reach our shores and perform dark Balkan tales of death, love and loathing – much lauded as “an inappropriate Act to stage in Robertson, on a Sunday afternoon, after a children’s dance performance” (The Nature of Robertson Onlinezine)
• Poetry Slam Battle… Two teams enter, two teams leave! One with the prized title of ‘Polish Club Team Slam Champion Team!’. Julian Fleetwood of the front slam leads a posse of poets against BAD!SLAM!NO!BISCUIT! team captain Jacinta’s hand-picked menagerie of word spewers in a battle royale of poetry – with backing music. Judged by the audience – yes, the audience. Join your fight night host the doctor in intervals of head-to-head slam poetry as you decide who will be crowned ‘Polish Club Team Slam Champion Team!’.
Bring all your friends.
Messy… so very very messy. Make mine a Kozlak.
UPDATE: We’ve got a single pass (take a friend and go half price each!) to this astonishing event. The first premium member to put their hand up wins the ticket.
Further Update: Congratulations to RandomGit who has claimed the ticket.