Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Lifestyle

Get RSM on your side at tax time.

No more major game development in Canberra?

By johnboy - 21 October 2013 1

2k

IT Wire is calling game over for the 2K Marin Canberra studio:

Several different sources have told tech media today that 2K Marin, a studio based in both California and Canberra, has been effectively reduced to zero following the release of The Bureau earlier this year, which was widely panned on its release.

Polygon is reporting the only developers safe from the layoffs are those who are leaving to join the new Bay Area 2K studio led up by former Gears of War lead and BioShock Infinite producer Rod Fergusson.

One source meanwhile told game news source Rock, Paper Shotgun that the studio was “essentially” closed, while Gamespot is reporting the studio has been hit with “significant reductions.”

Having produced just Bioshock 2 and the widely loathed The Bureau: XCOM Declassified it’s easy to see why their services were no longer required.

But still a shame.

So here’s Yahtzee’s take on their last effort for old times sake:

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
One Response to
No more major game development in Canberra?
Oy_Vegas 10:38 am 21 Oct 13

Not sure if this is the case – I think the Canberra studio went back to being 2K Australia (not 2K Marin) a while ago, and was contributing to Bioshock Infinite (and presumably the forthcoming DLC) rather than XCOM.

I haven’t seen any actual sources showing that Canberra is shutting down; it could just be an assumption on IT Wire’s part.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site