13 April 2022

UPDATED: NSW man extradited to ACT after alleged Summernats assault

| Lottie Twyford
Start the conversation
Police car and motorcycle.

A NSW Central Coast man who allegedly assaulted a man at Summernats earlier this year has been extradited from NSW to face court today. Photo: File.

UPDATE: The wheelchair-bound father of four accused of being behind a serious assault at Summernats 2022 has been held in custody as lawyers debate legal complexities around his case.

Karawera Te Kaitahi Mangu Rerekura, 27, was extradited from NSW to the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday (13 April) and charged with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm on a man at the car festival on 8 January 2022.

He did not enter a plea and, as he faced another charge in NSW, it was believed he had to prove there were special circumstances in his case that would allow him to apply for bail.

Anastasia Qvist of Fortify Legal said her client had a broken ankle and was now in a wheelchair.

She said Mr Rerekura would not work if he was taken into custody and he was the sole income provider for his young family, including four young children.

The prosecutor said his charge was a serious example of this type of offending.

Due to the legal complexities in the case, Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker invited the lawyers to return to court to consider if there was actually a need to prove whether special circumstances existed.

She refused bail for the time being and adjourned the matter to Thursday.

9 am: A 27-year-old Central Coast man has been extradited to the ACT to face a serious assault charge following an incident at Summernats earlier this year.

Police allege on Saturday, 8 January 2022, at about 3:30 pm a man was assaulted during an altercation in the grandstand at the burnout area of the event.

The 18-year-old who was allegedly punched in the face required surgery to his jaw as a result of the assault.

READ ALSO When Adriaan Roodt died after a school game, ‘it was like a light was turned off’

A person of interest was identified after a public call for information issued because police believed a large number of people had witnessed the incident.

An arrest warrant was issued and on Monday (12 April), the 27-year-old was arrested by NSW Police to face extradition proceedings in Wyong Court.

ACT Policing says the man’s extradition to the ACT was approved and he is scheduled to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court today (13 April) where he will face one charge of recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.