Our Tuggies go down in a close one against Canberra Olympic

johnboy 12 February 2018

This in from Capital Football

Woden Valley have secured their first ever win over Canberra FC in the loop Premier League with a stunning 3-2 triumph at Woden Park to heap more misery on the champions who sacked coach Rob Graham following their surprise loss to Monaro Panthers last weekend. And Woden was thoroughly deserved winners on the day netting twice in the last five minutes to steal all three points.

Canberra FC couldn’t have asked for a better start as they took the lead in six minutes. A fierce Daniel Bennett shot bounced awkwardly in front of Evan Alexandrow-Ridley who spilled the ball to Aaron Evans who tapped into the empty net. Woden responded well and was level by the break as Simon Hinde, who was dynamic throughout equalised. Hinde hammered in a shot that Ben Klug pushed away where Sean Murphy recovered and cut back to Hinde to fire between Klug’s legs for 1-1.

The visitors were back in front early in the second half when Ryan Keir rose highest to meet a Michael Spaleta corner and head firmly home before the amazing finish. For the second week in a row it was a former Canberra FC player who did the damage as a deep free kick found substitute Stephen Lee running in unmarked and his well-struck volley flashed into the net. Woden won it with a minute remaining as Peter Marlette ran down the left flank and blasted a rocket past Klug and into the net to send the home support into raptures.

Cooma Tigers turned on the style in the second half as they finally wore down their visitors, Canberra City, scoring five times after the break to run out 5-0 winners. Robbie Cattanach put the Tigers in front a minute into the second half before Gustavo Roldan doubled the lead five minutes later. The Tigers hit a double in two minutes with Stephen Domenici making it 3-0 in the 73rd minute before Cattanach scored his second in the 75th minute. The result was wrapped up when returning striker Alex Oloriegbe marked his comeback with a goal in stoppage time as Cooma kept up the pressure on the league leaders.

Canberra Olympic’s run of misfortune came to a close with a narrow 2-1 win over Tuggeranong United in wet and wild conditions at Kambah 2 on Saturday afternoon. A controversial winner, struck by Hristjan Tanoski in the 88th minute after the defender appeared to push away a covering Tuggeranong defender who was attempting to clear the ball as it rolled towards the goal, proved the difference in an evenly fought encounter. Such is the poor luck that Olympic have suffered in recent weeks the away side was due a slice of lady luck as they took all three points.

Earlier there had been plenty of chances for both teams with Olympic ‘keeper James Bradbury and his opposite number Matt McDonald, making some excellent saves as the score remained 1-1. It was Tuggeranong who had taken the lead through Alex Weber in the 16th minute as the winger pounced on a loose ball as Sam Griffiths clashed with an Olympic defender chasing a Mark Shields through ball. Olympic levelled in the second half when Tanoski took full advantage of a mistake from United full back Alex Blundell to centre for Domenic Giampaolo to volley in his fourth goal of the season before Tanoski bundled home the late, late decider.

Meanwhile, at the Riverside Stadium, Belconnen United proved far too strong for Monaro Panthers winning 7-2.


Tuggeranong United 1 (Alex Weber 16’) Canberra Olympic 2 (Domenic Giampaolo 53’, Hristjan Tanoski 88’)

Cooma Tigers 5 (Robbie Cattanach 46’, 75’, Gustavo Roldan 51’, Stephen Domenici 73’, Alex Oloriegbe 91’) Canberra City 0

Monaro Panthers 2 Belconnen United 7

Woden Valley 3 (Simon Hinde 25’, Stephen Lee 86’, Peter Marlette 89’) Canberra FC 2 (Aaron Evans 7’, Ryan Keir 49’)

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site