A possum nest has sparked a fire in a Latham home.
Firefighters were called to a property on O’Loghlen Street about 9:15pm (Sunday 4 May) after residents called Emergency Triple Zero (000).
A new fireplace had recently been installed within an old structure but it was being used for the first time tonight.
A possum had set up a nest of gum leaves and other debris between the existing and new flue.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly and damage was contained to the fireplace and roof space.
Two ACT Fire & Rescue crews attended the scene along with a commander.
It is believed the possum made it out safely.
(ESA Media Release)