I swear it was only yesterday that I was putting the winter woolies away, and dusting off the shorts, t-shirts and beach wear (well not quite, but I was prepping for summer!). Now it’s only less than a week until the first day of summer, which means we will soon be graced with much warmer weather, much longer evenings and the much anticipated silly season!
By living in Canberra, we are used to throwing on the layers and stacking on as many coats and scarves as we can! I think it is safe to say Canberrans are well trained at dressing for the cooler weather – it’s in our blood. However, when the warmer weather arrives, we tend to freak out a little bit and just grab and wear whichever warm weather outfit we can find, without thinking about how we can style and add a little touch of glam to the look.
In order to make the transition from spring to summer a little easier for you, I have put together some tips and tricks on how to avoid wearing that same summer maxi dress or short and shirt combo over and over.
- Add some key capsule pieces to your summer wardrobe. These are pieces that will be your go-to during summer, and are pieces that you know will work well together and can either take you to a day at the beach, shopping, or even to Christmas drinks. These will be your go-to items.
- Pieces that you might add to this capsule collection could be plain tee’s, chambray style pants or shorts, a light scarf and blazer, and a shift dress that you know you can wear for any occasion.
- You can still layer during summer, however it will just be slightly different to the way you would layer in winter. Summer layering may involve pairing a cocktail dress with a light, cotton blazer over the top, or adding a light scarf to your weekend look. You can always layer with accessories, and these are also great for enhancing any look – just make sure it balances out your outfit and isn’t OTT.
- During spring, I see a lot of people experiment with prints and patterns, but I don’t see this happening as much in summer. This could be because some may feel that it is far too warm to bother with styling, when really it’s super important to still incorporate colour to your wardrobe. My tip, either have a print/ coloured pattern on the top OR bottom half, that way you’re avoiding overdoing it, yet still adding a creative touch to your outfit.
- Become friends with a summer accessory, like a scarf or light shawl. These are great for wearing any time of the day, especially during the cooler evenings. This is also a great way to incorporate layering and accessories into your look, and requires no effort in styling – great for if you’ve got a busy day ahead.
- Do incorporate some denim into your summer wardrobe. Denim skirts, shirts, dresses – even overalls are in and here to stay. If you fear that you’ll feel too hot wearing denim, then definitely opt for the light chambray styles that will keep you cool.
No matter the temperature during summer, warm weather styling and accessorising should never go out the window. With the variety of silly season events that pop up during this period, it’s important that you have a variety outfits and looks that can be your go-to.
Remember to add these pieces to your wardrobe now, such as party appropriate dresses, plain t-shirts and casual pieces so that you’re not completely stuck when it’s time to pack for your trip away, or before a work function. And most importantly, have fun with it!
Writer Jemma Mrdak can be found elsewhere online at A Stylish Moment // www.astylishmoment.com