Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Community

Charity and fundraising auctions for the Canberra community

SCHOOLYARD TERROR REACHES CANBERRA TIMES

By johnboy - 26 February 2006 7

Browsing the headlines of the Canberra Times website this morning I was greeted by the warm familiarity of disgust the Sunday edition now seem guaranteed to evoke:

Schoolyard bashing terror Gang of 10 knock unsuspecting student unconscious

Ahah, I said to myself, Markus Mannheim is at it again. Surely nothing exemplifies the decline of the Canberra Times as much as Markus’ “Sunday Features” which each week find new ways to earn the contempt of the people of Canberra. You’d think the CT would hide these things on an inside page at least.

Is Markus reporting on systemic failure in our schools? No, it would seem things are functioning better than we would usually expect.

Is this some new social trend? No, occasional biffo in the schoolyard is as old as schools.

So what the hell is this story? What for Markus’ next headline? “Kylie says Tanya is a bitch – Tanya tells all of her hurt and betrayal at Belconnen High”?

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
7 Responses to
SCHOOLYARD TERROR REACHES CANBERRA TIMES
nyssa76 4:40 pm 27 Feb 06

Mael out amongst the kids.

Mr Evil 11:54 am 27 Feb 06

Bring out the tear gas and rubber bullets; that’ll sort the little shits out.

terubo 9:12 am 27 Feb 06

Time to change the law, then.

Maelinar 8:37 am 27 Feb 06

Nys, what does ‘out in force’ mean ?

I can tell you what it means from a military perspective, but I’m unsure about the legality of shooting children who are misbehaving.

nyssa76 9:55 pm 26 Feb 06

You can’t tell me that there wasn’t even a “hint” that it was going down.

Only last week, where I work, we were told to be “out in force” due to threats from another Canberra college (note: not THE Canberra College).

Students talk and word gets around about a fight.

It’s sad that this student was beaten up but even sadder that only ONE teacher went out to deal with the fight. It’s unheard of.

Then again, knowing the school like I do, I’m not surprised.

random 6:21 pm 26 Feb 06

There’s nothing wrong with reporting current events as well as trends. When an assault by a gang of ten on a 14-year-old boy — knocking him unconscious, no less, which is more serious than “occasional biffo” — isn’t newsworthy, we’ll really have a problem.

The article isn’t that bad, just the sensationalist headline. It was my understanding that sub-/associate editors are responsible for headline copy, so it mightn’t even be Markus’s fault.

[Full disclosure: I skipped the front page and went straight for the crossword, so didn’t even notice the story was there…]

Spectra 5:21 pm 26 Feb 06

I presume those involved will now be charged under anti-terror laws?

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site