Simon Corbell has let it be known that he’s pushing out an exposure draft trying to slow down Canberra’s rampant recidivist drink drivers:
ACT Attorney General, Simon Corbell, has today released for comment, an exposure draft bill that could see a mandatory alcohol interlock program in cars to prevent high-risk drink drivers from getting behind the wheel if they had been drinking.
“Around 1500 people were caught drink driving in the ACT in 2010-11, and alarmingly, almost a third of these were repeat offenders,” he said.
“These are frightening statistics – drink drivers pose a significant risk not only to themselves and their passengers, but they also put the safety of other innocent drivers on our roads in jeopardy, and we know that these careless actions can lead to tragic outcomes.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
“The government is seeking views from the community on an alcohol interlock program as a measure to prevent high risk people, and repeat offenders from driving after drinking to reduce their crash risk and protect others on our road.”
Mr Corbell said high-risk drink driving offenders could be required to undergo a pre-sentencing assessment to determine treatment options by the courts.
“It is proposed that the interlock program would be complementary with a treatment program that would support drivers to separate drinking and driving and promote sustainable changes in behaviour,” he said.