It’s that time of the week again – time for the RiotACT Gig Guide for the 5th to the 11th of July!
There is an outrageous number of shows this weekend, so it’s hard to know where to begin! I’ll start by mentioning that Shoeb Ahmad (pictured) will be launching a new single – “mask-ed” – for the first time in a long time, with opening acts Wives and Naif at Gorman Arts Centre on Saturday. Going to be huge! But as you can see below, there is plenty more going on! Oliver Downes is playing at Smith’s Alternative tonight with local twee-jazz extraordinaires Pocket Fox, while the next day Luke Seymoup will be performing with the excellent Burley Griffin, h. and Glass at Transit. GhostNoises – one of my personal favourite acts – will be playing alongside Moosk, Harley Drake and Breeding Audacity at Lobrow on Friday night, while the Bronze Whalers (I reviewed the lead singer’s latest album earlier this year) will be bringing the house down with a little help from NORTHSIDE and Liam Wright at Transit. The Magic Rob Universe (find my write-up on Magic Rob here) will be playing at Smith’s on Saturday, followed by Tom Woodward (who has a new album in the works), while Cable Ties launch their new album with help from the explosive Moaning Lisa and Slagatha Christie.
Also, Girls Rock! Canberra, the music-making workshop exclusively for women and non-male-identifying folk – starts next week… Find more details here!
I could go on, but then that’d be getting in the way of you checking out the Gig Guide for yourself. Have a righteous weekend!
- Oliver Downes w/ Pocket Fox @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Clare Bowen @ Canberra Theatre Centre, 7.30 pm start
- Jane Irving and Kevin Hailey @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Luke Seymoup w/ Burley Griffin, h. and Glass @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Soundscapes #12: Jack Collins, Ryan J. Page and Rhys Butler @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 – 11.30 pm
- The Salt Room: Emma Gibson, Troy Wong and Okinawa Girls @ Gorman Arts Centre, 7.30 to 10.30 pm
- Jesse Valach @ Harmonie German Club, 8 pm start
- Moosk w/ GhostNoises, Harley Drake and Breeding Audacity @ Lobrow Gallery and Cafe, 8 pm start
- The Ians, ampON, h. and Dalmacia @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Jack Biilmann & The Bronze Whalers w/ NORTHSIDE and Liam Wright @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Drawing North farewell show @ Shorty’s, 8 pm start
- People I Love w/ Free Daves @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 – 11.30 pm
- Just A Gent w/ support TBA @ Mr Wolf, 10 pm start
- Variety Concert: Capital Folk and Kokoloco @ Smith’s Alternative, 1 – 3 pm
- Shoeb Ahmad “mask-ed” single launch w/ Wives and Naif @ Gorman Arts Centre, 6.30 to 8 pm
- The Magic Rob Universe w/ Loom and York @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Toxicon single launch w/ Azreal, Namaza, Escape Syndrome, Maris King, Kid Presentable, Finding Eve, Primitive and Chud @ The Basement, 7.30 pm start
- Cable Ties album launch w/ Moaning Lisa and Slagatha Christie @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Ride For Rain, Parrots With Piercings, Adventure Sunday and Semen & Garfuckel @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Wavevom w/ Totty, Marlon Bando and more TBA @ Lobrow Gallery and Cafe, 8 pm start
- Gabby Williams and John McCarthy @ The Front Gallery and Cafe, 8 pm start
- Tom Woodward @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 – 11.30 pm
- Sunday Jazz Jam @ Smith’s Alternative, 1.30 – 4 pm
- Steve Edmonds Band @ Harmonie German Club, 3 pm start
- Smith’s Sunday Session @ Smith’s Alternative, 4 – 6 pm
- Masco Sound System w/ TEEM @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- 2XXFM LocalNLive Presents The Bootleg Sessions: The New Savages, Betty Alto, James Montgomery-Wilcox and Sophie Edwards @ The Phoenix, 8pm start
- Girls Rock! Canberra @ Ainslie Arts Centre, 9 am – 5 pm