Another spur of the moment invitation that arrived this afternoon. No one should have prior engagments at this time of year, would they?
- The National Multicultural Festival, Australia’s premier celebration of cultural diversity and one of the most significant events on Canberra’s community calendar, is in need of volunteers.
Volunteers Coordinator Carol Keil said that while there was a strong core of experienced personnel from previous years, more are needed for the 2009 event, which runs from February 6 to 15.
The Festival has a very strong community focus and in keeping with the community theme volunteers are required for the many tasks during this period.
“You don’t have to belong to a multicultural group; anyone who has enjoyed the Festival in previous years and supports what it stands for will be welcome to join us. It’s an opportunity to be involved in an exciting celebration, at the same time gaining skills and experience in valuable work, having fun and forming new friendships.”
Working as a volunteer during the Festival is an opportunity to be involved in an exciting celebration, whilst gaining experience, having fun and forming new friendships. There are a range of positions available for volunteers including stage assistants, dressing room attendants, information officers and road closure assistants.
An information session is to be held tomorrow evening (Thursday 18 December 2008) at 7:00pm in the Theo Notaras Building (level 2) Civic Square, Canberra.
Anybody is welcome to turn up to find out more. A schedule of the evening is listed below:
* Welcome & thanks: Representative from the ACT Office of Multicultural Affairs
* Event organizers, managers, directors and volunteer co-ordinator: Kabu Okai-Davies, Festival Producer
* The Fringe Festival: Jorian Gardner, Director
* ActewAGL Contact Canberra 2009: Citizens Advice Bureau
* Logistics Co-ordinator: Philippa Muller, National Multicultural Festival
* Volunteer Co-ordinator: Carol Keil, Canberra Multicultural Community Forum
What will be covered:
* Overview of major events
* When and where volunteers will generally be needed
* What volunteers generally will be doing
* Sign on and sign off requirements for insurance purposes
* Training session details
For more details and volunteer application forms visit:
www.multiculturalfestival.com.au or www.cmcf.org.au
or email email@example.com or phone 0417 041148