Leader of the Opposition Jeremy Hanson has called on the ACT Government to begin a board of inquiry into the Mr Fluffy crisis immediately so that it can report back before the 2016 election.
Mr Hanson said that as the first anniversary of the Government’s decision to go ahead with a buyback scheme for Mr Fluffy properties approached, there was no excuse for the Government not to initiate a board of inquiry.
“A bipartisan committee inquiry last year called on the government to constitute a Board of Inquiry to report by March 2016. To date Andrew Barr has refused to act,” Mr Hanson said.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Mr Barr said it would consider an inquiry but its first priority was assisting affected home-owners.
‘The ACT Government’s priority is to deal with Mr Fluffy. We’re helping homeowners move on and removing the Mr Fluffy problem once and for all, for all Canberrans.
‘As we’ve always said, once we have completed this process, we will then look at some kind of inquiry.
‘I’m disappointed that once again the Liberal party has chosen to politicise the Mr Fluffy response, rather than supporting the government as we look to help affected homeowners as quickly as possible.’
Mr Hanson said there were many different aspects of the Mr Fluffy crisis that need to be thoroughly examined including the ACT government’s knowledge of and handling of the issue since self government.
“Many Canberrans have been deeply affected by Mr Fluffy financially, emotionally and through the adverse health impacts. ACT Labor oversaw the Mr Fluffy crisis; the government should initiate the process to bring it to a close. It’s what the Mr Fluffy victims deserve,” he said.