Skip to content Skip to main navigation


We mean business
Contact us today to get results

What can be done about shonky tradesmen?

By tomH 12 January 2011 26

I’ve just had a horrible experience with a tradesman who took most of the money and has left the job half finished.

My lawyer says that I should call him and beg him to come back and finish the job as taking him to court will just mean more legal bills.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the message out there so that other people aren’t burnt by the same guy?

What’s Your opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
26 Responses to
What can be done about shonky tradesmen?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Artie_F 9:35 am 30 Jul 13

six_by_nine said :

We had a similar experience with a paver late last year. We engaged a tradie at the recommendation of a local paving supplier and it turned into a nightmare. The first sign of rain and all the paving washed away. We couldn’t get the paver back to fix it, and when we did finally get him on the phone he suggested drilling into the neighnbour’s wall for drainage. We ended up cutting our losses and getting a second tradie in to fix the mess.

I wish there was a forum for naming and shaming, but I know RA won’t.

Instead, I’d like to take the opportunity to recommend All Rock Landscapes & Constructions. Todd was amazing, took the time to explain everything, his quote turned up 3 days after the visit, and they did the whole job the next day. He put in some decent drainage, and fixed up the paver pattern so it’s better than the original job.

Just an update on this post in case anyone else reads this recommendation and goes with Todd (like I did):

Name and shame indeed.

Henry82 11:28 pm 22 Aug 11

small claims court is ummm quite a bit of effort, been there done that. You have to prove that the job wasnt completed satisfactorly, and that would need to be by an expert who has written a signed statement. If you don’t, the judge will just say “well im not an expert at x” and they’ll postpone the proceedings. Make sure you you get all evidence photocopied 3 times (you, judge, other guy).

milkman 10:56 pm 22 Aug 11

460cixy said :

shonky tradies are great 🙂

There’s certainly enough of them…

460cixy 10:31 pm 22 Aug 11

shonky tradies are great 🙂

Innovation 10:12 pm 22 Aug 11

One risk not yet mentioned with small claims is that, if you reach a resolution in mediation, that is not always the end of it. We had a tenant that trashed our house (damage plust rent was in the 10’s of thousands). They agreed to pay $50 per week on a fraction of the debt (about $3k I think) which we accepted because we knew we would never see the total balance.

The made one payment and then skipped town. It turned out that breaching the order reached in mediation was not a criminal offence and it was our responsibility to hunt them down and start the court process all over again.

matt31221 9:59 pm 22 Aug 11

theblues said :

KB1971 said :

Do the work yourself………

Not everyone can do DIY jobs. Have you considered that someone may be disabled or have mobility issues that may prevent them from undertaking DIY jobs?

Or they are simply untrained and don’t have the skills to do it properly. That 4 four apprenticeship in most trades is done for a reason.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2018 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | | |

Search across the site