This weekend’s highlights include a Madonna memorabilia display, a Carnivale-themed first birthday party at Lucky’s Speakeasy and Record Store Day at Landspeed Records. What are your plans for this weekend?
- The Canberra Devils ice hockey team will play its second game of the season against the Chiefs at 7pm on Friday. Head down to the Phillip Ice Skating Rink to watch the fastest game on the planet. Entry is free.
- Weightlifting ACT is hosting its first novice meet for 2015 on Saturday from 1pm to 4pm at The X Unbranded Weightlifting Facility in Fyshwick. Anyone of any skill level is welcome to attend and compete on the day.
- See the Brumbies take on the Rebels at GIO Stadium on Saturday. Kick off is at 7.40pm.
- Learn the basics of barbell lifting at Elite Physique on Sunday from 10am with a five-hour barbell lifting seminar. You’ll learn how to perform barbell squats, deadlifts and bench presses with correct form.
- In what may be their last ever gig, Beth ‘n’ Ben will launch their latest musical offering, Baggage Claim, at the RUC Turner Bowls Club on Friday from 8pm.
- Jordie Lane returns to the Street Theatre on Friday as part of his first national tour in 18 months, playing songs from his latest EP Not Built to Last.
- The Beards bring their Strokin’ My Beard tour to Canberra with special guests The Stiffys on Saturday. They’re performing at ANU Bar.
- Melbourne garage-surf party animals La Bastard and Adelaide rock n roll gang The Villenettes are playing at The Phoenix on Saturday from 9pm.
- Also on Saturday, Boo Seeka will perform at Transit Bar from 7.30pm.
Markets and festivals
- It’s your last chance to participate in Australian Heritage Week, which wraps up this weekend (the Jerrabomberra Wetlands history presentation and guided walk looks interesting)
- Find quality pre-loved goods at bargain prices at the Kidspot Baby and Kids Market at Exhibition Park this Saturday from 9am to 12pm. From prams and toys to clothing, there’s something for all children.
- Dance the night away to Annie & the Armadillos and see an amazing exhibit display of the biggest Madonna memorabilia at the former Catholic church in Gold Creek. There will be night markets, street food and a selection of wines, spirits and beers. Tickets available here.
- Landspeed Record’s biggest day of the year, Record Store Day, is on again this Saturday from 10am. Browse a selection of very limited Record Store Day releases plus a huge second hand record fair with over 2000 quality records for sale outside the front of the store.
School holiday fun
- Take the kids to the launch of Clyde’s Prickly Ride, a Canberra-themed children’s book, at Harry Hartog in Woden from 5pm to 6pm on Saturday. Enjoy light refreshments, meet the author and get your book signed.
- Get dressed up as your favourite Frozen character and have a frosty good time at Snow Queen’s Aussie Freezing Show. Sing with the Snow Queen, learn some icy dance routines and frolic in real, falling snow! It’s on Friday at 10.30am at the Southern Cross Club Woden.
- Take a walking tour of the Mount Stromlo Observatory and learn about one of Canberra’s oldest sites on Saturday from10am.
Have a good weekend! Let us know what we’ve missed in the comments below.