Chief Minister Gallagher has announced the release of the Transport for Canberra Strategy.
The key features of the Transport for Canberra Strategy include:
– 15 minute frequency public transport on the Frequent Network;
– 30 minute frequency public transport services within a 5-10 minute walk of everyone by 2021;
– public transport infrastructure: transitways, stations, park and ride and mass transit options like light rail or rapid bus transit;
– cycling and walking supported by a more compact city through integration of transport and land use planning;
– increasing public transport, walking and cycling to 23% of work trips by 2016; and,
– ring roads for traffic that integrate with central road corridors for public transport.
UPDATE 19/03/12 13:19: We’ve now got a copy of the full strategy online.
UPDATE 19/03/12 13:28: The Greens have expressed joy that their 30 minute bus guarantee has made the strategic cut, but disappointment previous strategies have come and gone with little change.
UPDATE 19/03/12 17:18: The Heart Foundation have expressed their enthusiasm for what they see as a document to get people driving less and exercising more.
[Photo courtesy of Simon Corbell's office]