12 June 2014

ACT Women’s Premier League Round 10 Review

| Canfan
Start the conversation

ACT Women’s Premier League Football Round 10 – Review.

Sunday 8th June

ACTAS 5 v Monaro Panthers 0

ACTAS romped to an impressive 5-0 victory over Monaro Panthers inflicting a second defeat of the season on the previous run-away league leaders who had no answer to the pace and movement of a young and gifted ACTAS outfit that appears to have found its form in the taxing demands of the ACT Women’s Premier League. ACTAS started well and their positivity was rewarded when they took the lead in the 23rd minute through a goal from Alexia Karrys-Stahl, her first of the season. They didn’t have long to wait to double their lead however as leading scorer Mikayla Van Deyk made it 2-0 just two minutes later. By this stage the Panthers, missing a couple of key players, were staring down the barrel and they were to fall further behind before half-time as Karrys-Stahl, enjoying a terrific match, netted her second goal seven minutes before the half-time interval. Not to be outdone Van Deyk put the match beyond the reach of the Panthers with her fifteenth goal of the season early in the second half and the rout was complete with eleven minute to play as Brigitte Calabria notched her second goal of the campaign to make it 5-0 and end a resounding victory for the ACTAS team.

Belconnen United 4 v Tuggeranong United 0

REPORT BY JOHN COLLEY: A dominant first half performance by Belconnen United secured the three points for the seventh week in a row. Belconnen burst out of the blocks with four goals in the opening 25 minutes, the win moving them within three points of league leaders Monaro Panthers. The scoring was opened in the fourth minute through Caitlin Munoz, Michaela Day was pivotal in the lead up, cutting the ball back from the bye line to Munoz who never looked like missing. Day was critical in the build-up of Belconnen’s second just minutes later, sending a ball through for Talia Backhouse who powered home her finish into the far top corner.

Day was instrumental again just three minutes later as a pin-point ball from Munoz found Day outside the area, Day then feeding Jessie Williams who wasted no time finishing back across the Tuggeranong goal.

The points were all but secured just ten minutes later when Munoz collected her second. Sally Rojahn dropping the ball off for Munoz who dribbled into space, then showing her all experience as she drove her shot into the far corner. To Tuggeranong’s credit they did not give up despite being down by four goals. While they were unable to create any clear-cut opportunities, they did have strong passages of play most of which were instigated by Snez Veljanovska. However, the day got worse for Tuggeranong 15 minutes from time as Veljanovska was carried off due to injury.

Canberra Olympic 0 v Weston-Molonglo FC 1

Canberra Olympic was brought down from the high of their midweek win over ANU WFC as they succumbed to a narrow 0-1 loss at the hands of Weston-Molonglo FC. A goal from Hope Wilkins with thirteen minutes remaining was enough to separate two evenly matched teams who went at it hammer and tongs from the opening whistle in an attempt to claim the three points. That it was Weston that did so owed much to the lively Wilkins who, as well as notching the match-winning goal in the 77th minute, her eight of the season to date, caused numerous issues for her opponents with the Olympic defence constantly on guard to check the movement and ability of Wilkins. Both goalkeepers, Rebecca Lutterell for Olympic and Michelle Tifan for Weston enjoyed good matches with Lutterell sharing duties with Teah Fogarty. Neither side could find a breakthrough in the first half with defences reigning supreme and the match degenerating into a midfield battle. The second forty-five minutes offered more the crowd to appreciate but a goal seemed unlikely at either end until Wilkins stepped up to seal the deal.


Canberra Olympic 2 v ANU WFC 1

A breakthrough moment for Canberra Olympic perhaps as they not only scored their first goal of the season but went on to collect all three points from their midweek match with ANU WFC claiming a 2-1 win in a morale-boosting performance. It’s been a tricky year for both these teams and both camps approached the match with a must win mentality that provided for a lively and open encounter with plenty of chances for both teams. It was Olympic who took the lead in the fifteenth minute as they finally brought to an end their long time goal drought. Sarah Tutt was the hero as she found a way past Sarah-Jane Merefield in the ANU goal to give Olympic a perfect start. And the hosts were in dreamland in the 33rd minute as they went 2-0 ahead as Alex Martens rounded off a team move with a well-finished goal. The University team regrouped at the interval and emerged as a different proposition in the second half and managed to reduce the arrears in the 63rd minute as Klara Verbyla netted her first goal of the season. Buoyed by their goal, ANU WFC stormed onto the offensive but Olympic was able to hold firm and clock up a maiden win for 2014 giving them a boost heading into the second round of fixtures.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.