Inner ear pain on the verge of bursting? Check. Feverish day that has taken a turn for the worse? Check. Inconsolable baby during early teething? Check. Weekend sports injury? Check. Eczema flareup? Check.
What ever the reason, we can all relate to that panicked search for a chemist that is open in our time of need. Medical emergencies tend to occur when we least expect it, and most certainly at times when we are completely unprepared. Indeed, there are many instances when medication simply cannot wait until the morning.
Thankfully, a select bunch of our local pharmacists have recognised this need offering after-hours trading for their chemists. These chemists push the boundaries opening their doors to the public from the early morning until well into the night.
They are staffed by experienced pharmacists who are friendly as they are knowledgeable; and offer a comprehensive range of quality products and ancillary services. If you have found yourself in need of a great after-hours chemist in the Canberra region do read on below.
What makes a great after-hours chemist?
The best after-hours chemists are there when you need them the most. They are run by experienced pharmacists who help you manage which ever medical issue comes your way. Here is what we think sets the best apart from the rest:
- Accessible & Convenient. The best after-hours chemists are accessible when – and where you need them. Unlike regular chemists, their after-hours counterparts are open on extended business hours. Most good after-hours chemists trade until 7pm, but the best will be open to 10pm or beyond. Moreover, consider those which are easily accessible with parking nearby. Finally, the cream of the crop will even extend their services online providing a truly round the clock service.
- Trusted Advisors. The best chemists are home to expert pharmacists, who offer trusted advice on all manner of minor ailments. They provide sound advice on medicines; which are appropriate; most affordable; and how to take them safely. Moreover, they are a wonderful sounding board for mild concerns which do not quite warrant a visit to the GP. Bet it burst of dermatitis, a persistent cough, or teething in babies, their advice on the right medicines can work wonders.
- Full Dispensary. There is nothing worse than making a late-night dash only to discover that what you need is out of stock. Great after-hours chemists will stock all the mainstream products, along with their generic counterparts. They will also keep all the necessary first aid items, pain killers, antihistamines, and asthma medications. What’s more; the best after-hours chemists also keep a range of ancillary items like baby products, topical skin treatments, dental items and more.
- Services that Matter. Yes, all great after-hours chemists dispense medicines. The best however, provide a full suite of additional services that are there when you need them most. These services are particularly helpful for those with young families, and include the likes of post-natal care, babies, and children. Additional services may also extend to vaccinations along with health checks and risk assessments like blood pressure or blood sugar tests. While results are best to be discussed with your GP, it’s handy knowing your chemist can help.
- Well Priced. While many on demand services tend to charge a premium, the best after-hours chemists will not. Despite their extended trading hours, and operational costs, they will continue to offer well priced medication and products for customers.
The best after-hours chemists in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Conveniently located in the heart of Canberra City, The Pharmacy on Northbourne is an independent and locally owned chemist. A favourite amongst local residents; they are known for their superior product range, clear advice, and friendly service.
Open seven days a week until 11pm, they have also recently launched an online store. Full to the brim with all your medical product needs Now, more than ever, The Pharmacy on Northbourne offers their services as you need it.
Patrick Morgan had this to say about the chemist on Google, “Have been coming to this pharmacy since late 2013 and the business owner and pharmacist Chris is fantastic, as is the team. Highly recommend!”
Conveniently located within the Phillip Medical and Dental Centre, Colbee Court Late Night Chemist sure lives up to it's namesake. Open to 10.00pm seven days a week, Colbee Court Late Night Chemist is a great choice for those needing urgent medicines in the local Woden Valley area.
With a diversely stocked dispensary, they offer medicines to treat minor injuries and common ailments and diseases. With everything from pain relief to allergy medication, first aid creams, bandages and more, they are a welcome service indeed.
Mel Dzundza had this to say on Google, "This chemist is the best. Open till late. Fast service. They answer any questions you have. They aren't more expensive than any other chemist and they look after you first and foremost. I couldn't ask for anything else."
Florey Pharmacy are known for placing the health and wellness of their community first. They believe that access to a pharmacist is key to helping customers take control of their health; and ensure that there is always an experienced pharmacist at hand.
Florey Pharmacy offers a range of services for infants to the elderly, and catering to all disease states. This includes workplace leave certificates, vaccinations, blood pressure readings and more. Open seven days a week to 9pm and on almost all public holidays Florey Pharmacy is an excellent choice.
Ellen shared her experience with Florey Pharmacy on Google, “Always a good experience. Lovely staff, very personable and helpful. The lengthy opening hours are very handy too.”
Open until 11pm 365 days a year, Capital Chemist O’Connor is a true late-night pharmacy. A member of highly regarded Capital Chemist group, the O’Connor location benefits from a wealth of shared knowledge.
Servicing the local community for over fifteen years, the chemist offers an impressive range of services compounded with thorough medical advice. From asthma checks and blood glucose tests, all the way through to cholesterol and diabetes screening, they are there to help in your time of need.
La_psyche highly recommends Capital Chemist O’Connor as shared on RiotACT, “They’re open til 11pm every day – apparently even on Christmas.”
As one of many Amcal+ chemists, their Queanbeyan location offers outstanding client service for all your family medical needs. Stocking a comprehensive range of medicines, vitamins, first aid products and more, they can assist with the treatment of all manner of ailments and diseases.
Open to 8pm Monday through to Friday, and 6pm on weekends, Amcal+ Pharmacy is an excellent late-night chemist servicing the Queanbeyan region. Moreover, they offer an expansive online store stocking everything from medicated skin care to allergy relief and more.
Steve Skrobot had this to say on Google, “Customer service is to the highest standard. Even when they are busy, they acknowledge each individual in the order of their attendance. The staff, especially the pharmacists are friendly & welcoming….”
If you’re looking for more after-hours medical services you might like our article on the best home doctors in Canberra. For other health services perhaps our articles on the best doctors, best dentists, the best hearing centres and audiologists, and the best psychologists in Canberra may also be of interest.
Your experience with after-hours chemists in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the after-hours chemists listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my doctor send a prescription directly to my chemist?
Yes, your doctor can send a digital prescription directly to your preferred chemist. In this instance the prescription must generally be filled at that same chemist, with any repeats kept on the premises as well. Please note that your doctor is legally required to keep a paper copy of your prescription if they have sent a digital version to the chemist.
Can someone else collect my prescription from a chemist?
In most instances another adult may collect a prescription on your behalf from the chemist. If in doubt, call ahead and check with the pharmacist first.
Do chemists offer home delivery of medicines?
Many chemists now offer convenient home delivery services for medicines and prescriptions. If in doubt, call your preferred chemist or check their website to see whether they stock the required medicine; if they offer delivery; and if you can order online or via the phone.
Can I get a medical certificate from a chemist?
Yes. Some chemists can issue medical certificates covering minor ailments within the pharmacist’s scope of practice for work-related purposes. For example, cold or flu that has resulted in time away from work. If your injury or illness is outside of the pharmacist’s scope of practice, they will likely refer to you a general practitioner. Bear in mind that not all chemists in Canberra offer this service and those that do provide this at a charge. So, it is worth phoning around before heading out.
Is a pharmacist a doctor?
No, a pharmacist is not a doctor. Simply put, a pharmacist is a person qualified to dispense medications. They understand how medicines work, how they should be taken, and of any side effects. Pharmacists must hold a formal qualification in the area, so a Bachelor or Master of Pharmacy, and be registered with the Pharmacy Board of Australia.