There’s nothing worse than coming into work every day when your office that doesn’t suit employees’ needs. If your environment is stuck in a rut, chances are your staff will be too.
If a refresh is in order, it’s worth considering the purchase of a full office fitout from a company well versed in tailoring office designs from scratch. Think about the requirements of staff and their respective roles, as well as business operations, and any challenges created or exacerbated by the current building design. Set a budget and timeline, and you’ve got yourself a project brief to show prospective office fitout companies.
There are a whole lot of decisions to make when it comes to meeting your brief, so it’s absolutely crucial that the provider you choose for the job is the right one. Otherwise, you could end up with a project that blows out your budget and timeline without delivering a high quality end result.
What makes a great office fitout company?
A great office fitout company should consider practicality, visual appeal and value for money in equal measure. They should be masterful with space, form and function, and know what it takes to set a productive, inviting office scene.
It’s also important to think about Canberra’s environment – freezing winters and sweltering summers, combined with high winds and rainfall in autumn and spring, makes for some pretty unique comfort requirements.
If nothing else, consider the following when choosing a company for your office fitout:
- Qualifications and experience. Experience is a must. Fitouts should outline every area of your office in detail, especially complex, essential or unique features. If the team you’re considering has never worked on a similar project, think carefully about their ability to deliver it. Always ensure every team member who will be on site is appropriately qualified to do the work.
- Pricing. Although your initial budget is likely to chance somewhat as designing and planning progress, it’s important that your chosen office fitout company doesn’t blow it completely out of proportion. Setting expectations here is key. Do you require itemised invoices? Do they offer a fixed quote and is it transparent? Will you be briefed on how budget changes caused by project size, specifications or setting?
- Design. How skilled is the company in matching, or exceeding, the specifications of a brief in their designs? Make sure to ask a lot of questions and expect to answer many in return. A good design should cover all areas of the office, factor in your specific needs and rely on the best construction practices – not the trendiest or cheapest ones – to get the job done.
- Portfolio range. While an eye-catching portfolio is always a plus, range is more important. Look at past projects, pay particular attention to customer reviews and examine their relevance to your project. If the fitout company offers to take you on a tour of their previous work, take the opportunity to do so.
- Service. Taking the time to sift through a few online reviews could save you hours of trouble in the long run. Before you commit to signing any paperwork, make sure you understand the details of customer care packages and services. How responsive is the team? Do they offer any care guarantees? Have their clients remained a priority from start to finish? This is a big investment that will likely disrupt you environment for some time – make sure your chosen company is ready to guide you through it.
The best office fitout companies in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Founded locally three years ago, Moltus Construction's team specialises in complete fitouts, refurbishments, upgrades and repairs for commercial buildings across a variety of sectors.
Having over a decade of experience working in education, health, hospitality, retail, medical, infrastructure and professional services, they are qualified (ACT licensed class A builder) and confident in all areas of commercial construction.
Moltus Construction has exceptional experience and references for office fitouts. Service starts by offering clients advice as they draw together brief, budget and requirement guidelines. These are considered carefully and equally by designers, who work closely with clients to tailor a design that suits.
Once construction starts, Moltus Construction manages all services involved from the outset through to completion. And when it comes to the finishing touches, the team is renowned for their careful attention to detail and comittment to quality.
The team has worked on a variety of local projects as outlined in their extensive portfolio, including Brindabella Business Park, Australian Pork (Barton) and Aussie Homeloans (Belconnen).
Canberra Plumbing said on Google, "We have found the team at Moltus to be extremely professional with work always completed to a high standard. Communication was excellent throughout the job and we would highly recommend Moltus to anyone looking for high quality construction or fitouts."
Blackett Commercial was born in 2013 following more than four decades of success from Blackett Property Group.
A full service solution for all things commercial construction, the team guides clients through planning, design and development through to handover, providing market leading cost management throughout.
10 years' worth of skilled work on government, corporate and high security offices is highlighted in Blackett Commercial's stunning project gallery - when it comes to fitouts, they are well and truly equipped to deliver.
Projex has called Canberra home since the beginning, putting heart into a broad range of industry and economy streams including offices, healthcare, education, retail and more.
The team is also a huge supporter of local jobs and community initiatives, using their expertise to give back wherever they can.
ACT Government's Department of the Treasury said,"The quality of the work and overall dedication to the project was truely impressive, as was their ability to deliver in a short timeframe during the pandemic."
Founded in 2010, Colda Constructions is well known in Canberra for the construction of beautiful yet functional offices, medical centres, and retail store fitouts.
A team of 12 with decades of experience between them carries out hassle free project management from start to finish, including in-house design.
Colda's high standards shine across their latest projects, which can be viewed in an extensive online gallery. A few notable locations include National Capital Private hospital, Elringtons Lawyers and Capital Coast Surgery.
If you’re looking for more information on design or construction services in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best architects, the best builders and renovators, or the best landscapers Canberra has to offer. And, if you need some design inspiration check out our articles on the best furniture stores or the best office furniture supply stores in the region.
Your experience with office fitout companies in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the interior designers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is included in an office fitout?
Typically an office fitout is tailored to include everything staff need to occupy the office space - all necessary structures, electrical, furnishings, decorations and mechanical equipment. A mid range office fitout should consider reception, private offices and meeting rooms, open areas, workstations, a kitchen/break area and boardroom.
How much does a typical office fitout cost?
For most mid range offices, a total fitout costs between $1,200 and $1,400 per square metre.
How long does an office fitout take?
A mid range office fit out typically takes 6 to 14 weeks. Larger offices, external barriers and more complex requirements could mean construction takes up to 6 months to complete, especially if structural changes are made to the office building.
What are the benefits of a good office fitout?
A good office fitout can result in higher, more efficient work output, boost staff moral, strengthen branding and improve communication both internally and with external partners.
Are fitout costs tax deductible?
Generally speaking, most office fitout costs are tax deductible for businesses under the ATO's depreciation divisions 40 (building) and 43 (plant and equipment).