Do you need a doctor after-hours when your trusted GP is closed? Not to worry. Instead of waiting until morning, you can enlist the help of a home doctor.
In short, a home doctor is a fully qualified doctor that visit patients in their own homes outside of standard business hours. Suitable for patients of all ages, home doctors can provide care for those suffering from a fever, ear infection, gastro, chest infections, sporting injuries, and more.
Do keep in mind, however, that home doctors generally take between two and three hours to arrive at your home. If you need urgent care, call 000 or visit your nearest hospital.
If you are looking for a reliable home doctor in Canberra, read on. We asked locals to share their experience. Now, we’re ready to pass on their recommendations. Let’s get started right away.
What makes an excellent home doctor?
When it comes to your health or the health of a loved one, only the very best will do. We suggest keeping an eye out for the following traits when seeking out a home doctor:
- Reliable. If you or a family member requires medical assistance after-hours, you need a doctor that will show up as promised and ready to assist. They shouldn’t leave you waiting around longer than necessary.
- Experienced. Like all medical professions, experience goes a long way. The best home doctors boast years of on-the-job experience and know exactly how to assess, diagnose, and treat both common and rare conditions.
- Bulk billed. Many home doctors in the Canberra region bulk bill their services. This ensures all members of our community can get the care they need – when they need it.
- Compassionate and respectful. A home doctor should never make you feel guilty for calling in their services. You are suffering. You are uncomfortable and possibly in pain. Their attitude should reflect this.
What else do you look for in a medical service? Share any thoughts below.
The best home doctor in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
A few years ago, the Canberra region welcomed the National Home Doctor Service. As the only home doctor provider in the area, locals were thrilled. So, here’s a bit more information about this fantastic community service.
The National Home Doctor Service is the country’s largest network of after-hour doctors. This team of qualified medical professionals can treat patients young and old, at home or in an aged care facility. What’s more, all services are bulk billed for those that have a Medicare or Gold DVA card.
The National Home Doctor Service in Canberra is available whenever your regular GP is closed for business:
• From 6 pm Monday to Friday
• 12 pm Saturday to 8 am Monday
• All public holidays, including Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
Although these after-hour home visit doctors are fully qualified, they do not treat life-threatening conditions or injuries.
If you need urgent care, the National Home Doctor Service recommends either calling 000 or making your way to your nearest Emergency Department. Do not wait for one of the doctors to show up.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you ever used the National Home Doctor Service in Canberra? Did they show up on time and give you the treatment you needed? Please share your thoughts and feedback in the comments area below for our readers to check out.