Looking to score an unbeatable deal on a new sofa? Want to kit out your home office without breaking the bank? On the hunt for that extra-special piece to complete your living room?
Head to your local second-hand furniture store. Not only can you score a great deal, but you’ll also find a unique, one-of-a-kind array of couches, chairs, tables, stools, and more.
Here in Canberra, we have access to some of the finest antique furniture dealers – as well as super cheap, super convenient second-hand stores. After consulting local feedback, we’ve come up with the top four second-hand furniture stores in the area.
Let’s get started right away.
What makes a great second-hand furniture store?
When you’re hunting for that perfect second-hand piece, keep the following traits in mind:
- Excellent range of pieces. Whether you are furnishing an entire house, a kids’ bedroom, your new office space, or your alfresco dining area, you should be able to find high-quality second-hand furniture. The best stores sell everything from lounge suites and side tables to rugs and lamps.
- Fair prices. Many people shop for second-hand furniture for one critical reason: to save money. You can score incredible deals when buying second-hand.
- A unique and authentic collection. As we mentioned above, saving money is one of the biggest drawcards of shopping second-hand. That being said, design enthusiasts are on the hunt for unique and authentic pieces.
- Quality and integrity. There’s no point purchasing second-hand furniture if you take it home and find that it’s broken or lacks structural integrity.
- Delivery service. If you don’t own a ute or truck, look for a second-hand furniture store that offers prompt and affordable delivery throughout Canberra.
The top second-hand furniture stores in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Without further ado, let’s introduce the top second-hand stores in the region according to you – Canberra’s locals.
If it’s a vintage or antique piece you are after, head over to the Canberra Antiques Centre. Since 2003, the passionate team behind this extensive second-hand store have curated a stunning collection of eclectic and inspiring furniture. Today, they specialise in a variety of styles, eras, and brands, including Jet Age, Kookaburra Australian Antiques, Merlin Prints, and more.
The name really says it all. Ex-Government Furniture offers a massive collection of second-hand office furniture collected from government buildings throughout the nation’s capital. Their second-hand products are high-quality and low-priced. Alongside the used items, the store manufactures new office furniture.
Here’s another one for those looking for antique or one-of-a-kind furniture. The Humble House Gallery offers a stunning collection of unique décor, specialising in Chinese antique furniture. Their enthusiastic team boast over 20 years of interior design experience, allowing you to customise their antiques to create a truly personalised piece to treasure for years to come.
Whatever you need to complete your interior, you’ll probably find it at The Green Shed. The Green Shed offers a huge variety of furniture and second-hand wares – all available at bargain prices. Their dedicated team acquire second-hand furniture from across the Canberra region, so you can shop confidently knowing you are reducing waste.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Where in the Canberra region do you shop for second-hand furniture? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments area below.