From Emu Ridge to Evatt, where you live in Canberra influences your homes design style, and furniture choices therein. Whether you need to replace an aging dining table or furnish and entire house, doing the furniture store rounds across the ACT can be frustrating.
What you are shopping for will naturally depend on your needs. Things like your life stage, your personal style, and your budget are mostly likely key priorities. But with everything on offer from flat pack to artisan crafts, finding beautiful yet functional furniture can be tricky.
Thankfully, our nation’s capital is now home to some glorious furniture and homeware havens. From quality casual pieces to high end classics every design whim is catered to.
Gone are the days of travelling afar to source one-of-a-kind pieces, they are now residing quietly in store just waiting for us to discover them. And with so much home-grown talent in the furniture game, it makes sense to shop locally and support Australian businesses.
Beyond simply showcasing the latest design trends, great furniture stores offer ideas – and options – to suit your needs. Their service is second to none, with highly experienced and knowledgeable staff readily available to assist.
To make your next furniture purchase effortless, we’ve rounded up the best furniture stores in Canberra to help you on your way. Read on below.
What makes a great furniture store?
Great furniture stores are a home design haven, full to the brim with well-considered quality pieces that stand the test of time. The best stores couple this with a seamless in-store experience, making light work of turning your house into a home. We suggest keeping the following in mind:
- Inspirational settings. While online research is a great way to start your furniture purchasing journey nothing can replace the first-hand experience of a product styled in store. The best furniture stores know this well. Consequently they stop at nothing to create truly inspirational furniture and homeware displays. This in store experience allows you to visualise how the items can work in your space. Moreover, you can feel their textures, assess their level of comfort, and importantly take a good look at their quality. Finally, seek advice from staff for any questions you may have on construct, materials, specifications, and potential wear and tear of the furniture in your home.
- Quality craftsmanship. For many, furnishing a room or an entire home is an investment in ensuring a life lived comfortably. While mass produced items do have a time and place, most of us are seeking the highest quality craftsmanship that we can afford. Therefore, look for retailers that take pride in the quality manufacture and finishing of their products. Consider how, and where, the items are made, and if they suit the living conditions of your space. The best retailers offer warranties and even options to refurbish later down the track.
- Styled collections. Some of us need little help to turn any space into a sanctuary. Most of us however reap the benefits of shopping in a handful of places stocked with items that all magically work in unison. Thus the best furniture stores expertly style collections of items from the ceiling down to the floor. These collections cover everything from lighting, to artwork, decorator accents, furniture, and flooring. The benefit? An easy shopping experience that yields results!
- Customisable options. There is nothing worse than finding that perfect piece only to discover it cannot be tailored to suit your requirements. Hence, to avoid disappointment consider retailers who offer customisable options on their wares. Bet it a change in size, a choice of materials, or different finishes, the best stores can do it. What’s more, they will even provide catalogues and samples to test an item’s fit before purchasing.
- Super service. Great furniture retailers understand that advice provided by sales professionals is invaluable in purchase decision making. They do all that they can to ensure this process is seamless – and pain free! The best offer comprehensive servicing, from design consultations through to delivery, set up, and removal of packaging from your home. Given the investment, it pays to shop around and make the most of the additional services on offer.
The best furniture stores in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
designcraft began as a small furniture and joinery company over 25 years ago, and has since evolved to one of Canberra’s leading and award-winning retailers specialising in high end furniture.
designcraft is known for representing the largest and most diverse range of authentic and iconic designer furniture from both local and international brands. Their showroom in Hume features furniture, lighting, and accessories that we once had to travel to Sydney or Melbourne to find. For beautiful dining, lounge, living, outdoor, and office furniture look to designcraft.
vx220she shared this great review on Google, “An excellent team. They have great knowledge, an eye for detail, experience in combining contemporary and classical design. They go out of their way for providing the best design advice and have brilliant customer care. I would not use any other store in Canberra for purchasing that original unique piece of furniture. Highly recommend the whole team.”
Conveniently located in Fyshwick, 1825 is a family-owned Australian furniture business run by brother and sister team, Ben Moras and Celeste Upton. With 9 locations across NSW and the ACT, they specialise in classic French-country with a nod to provincial and Hamptons styles.
Offering custom-made timber furniture and reclaimed timber pieces their factory in Vietnam was recently certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. For beautiful, sustainable, and affordable furnishings for your abode consider 1825 Interiors.
Michelle Haine shared her experience on Google, “Great customer service, lovely furniture.”
Newcomer Miko Designs opened in 2018 brought to the fore by Canberra locals Stuart Finlayson and Stephanie McKenzie. The dynamic duo launched the store to foster a culture of quality design, creativity, and innovation.
Miko Designs places emphasis on high value, ethical, and sustainable designs that stand the test of time. They source the best Australian creatives in the furniture and décor space and provide a platform to showcase their wares.
For one-of-a-kind pieces from established and emerging Australian talent look no further than Miko Designs.
Kirsty Madden shared this wonderful feedback on Google, “Such helpful staff with great advice and design tips. A beautiful and welcoming space with great pieces. Can’t wait to find more treats at Miko.”
From humble beginnings in 2002, Provincial Home Living have grown to over 30 stores around the country. As a family owned and managed business, they seek global inspiration to curate a range of enduring classics with hallmarks of timeless, understated elegance. Think natural materials, wooden tones, and the echo of the ocean.
Located in Fyshwick, they stock a range of classic furniture and homewares that are beautifully designed for daily use by the whole family. For elegant pieces that transform your home and stand the test of time look to Provincial Home Living.
Robert Watson had this to say about his experience on Google, “Great product range really lovely items in-store. Definitely recommend for those looking for nice homewares, there are some nice pieces here that are different to the average items found in more mainstream stores.”
Proudly Australian owned and operated, Oz Design Furniture have been furnishing homes for over forty years. Their focus has always been on providing innovative furniture and homewares that follow global style trends whilst remaining liveable.
Based in Fyshwick, their diverse range with a distinctive Australian flair ensures that there is something for everyone. Whether you are looking for furnish a small or large space, to upsize or downsize, or simply live comfortably look to Oz Design Furniture.
Sepi Helali shared this sentiment on Google, “Very good customer service, helpful staff who know what they are doing. Very good range of products and reasonable prices.”
If you’re considering revamping some furniture read our article on the best upholstery repairs and restoration. Moreover, for some pre-loved items see our article on the best second hand furniture stores in the region.
For more decorating services check out our articles on the best curtain suppliers and the best outdoor blinds and curtain suppliers. Additionally our articles on the best flooring specialists, and the best house painters may be of interest.
Finally, for some professional assistance designing your space check out our article on the best interior designers Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with furniture stores in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the furniture stores listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.