Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Avani Terraces - Greenway
Life is looking up

Ashley Drive duplication to extend to Johnson Drive

By Charlotte Harper - 25 May 2016 13

Ashley Drive

The ACT Government will spend $3.5 million over two years to duplicate the section of Ashley Drive from Erindale Drive to Johnson Drive, Minister for Transport and Municipal Services Meegan Fitzharris announced today.

The funds would be allocated as part of next month’s 2016-2017 ACT Budget.

Ms Fitzharris said the government had already invested $24.6 million for an upgrade of Ashley Drive between Erindale Drive and Ellerston Avenue, and that work there was well underway.

“Construction is progressing well on the noise wall along the eastern side of the corridor between Statton Street and Isabella Drive as well as the pedestrian bridge over Monks Creek which will provide a connection between Richardson and Isabella Plains,” she said.

The additional stage announced today would upgrade 550m of Ashley Drive between Ellerston Avenue and Johnson Drive to a dual carriageway.

“Ashley Drive is a key access road for the Tuggeranong region which is currently used by around 22,000 vehicles each day. Heavy traffic congestion is currently experienced on the road in the morning and evening peak periods and these duplication works will be welcomed by local residents,” the Minister said.

“This funding commitment follows an extensive community consultation on the preliminary designs for the duplication of Ashley Drive in late-2014.”

Ms Fitzharris said the works would include intersection upgrades where Ashley Drive meets Ellerston Avenue and Johnson Drive.

“The upgrade will also cater to active travel, with north and southbound on-road cycle lanes and additional footpaths to link with existing off-road paths,” she said.

She said the upgrade would significantly increase traffic capacity on the section of road and improve access for Theodore, Calwell and Lanyon residents connecting to the northern areas of the Tuggeranong Valley and Woden Valley through to the city centre.

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
13 Responses to
Ashley Drive duplication to extend to Johnson Drive
rommeldog56 10:58 pm 26 May 16

farnarkler said :

See Canberra times article below in particular the following words: (one road project to me= 1 stage, though yes proposed as two initially)

“It’s an extra 550 metres, so we’ll be able to add that to the current tender, and they’ll see one road project delivered, and we expect it will all be completed in 2017”

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/government-promises-full-duplication-of-ashley-drive-20160524-gp2xeh.html

But its not being done “concurrently – and as far as I can see, it was still 2 separate tenders. Doesnt make any sense why.

No mind, is as confusing as these things undertaken by the ACT Gov’t so often are. As I said earlier, I’m just happy its being done at long last. Thank god its an election year !

Crazed_Loner 10:56 pm 26 May 16

It was absolutely insane not to have included the last 500 metres south of Ellerston Ave in the original plan for duplication – penny-pinching at its worst, along the lines which produced the Gungahlin Drive debacle. Still, they found $900 million for the tram…

JC 1:22 pm 26 May 16

Lurker2913 said :

Mordd said :

Think you will find the remaining 500m has been added to the existing contract so not a separate stage.

Really ? The ACT Govt has always spoken about Stage 1 and 2 of the duplication. Never mind.

According to the Canberra Times on 13 March this year, :

” Tenders for its construction are still being evaluated and a contractor is expected to be appointed in coming weeks when an open tender process for the rest of the major duplication works will also be advertised.”

See :
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/road-work-begins-on-duplication-of-tuggeranongs-ashley-drive-20160315-gnjnar.html

That indicates to me that the last 500 metres was in fact a separate tender. The fact that it might have been “added to the existing contract” as you claim is a contractual mechanism that might be used if the tenderer for stage 1 was also successful in bidding for stage 2 (the last 500 metres or so).

If they were separate tenders, then the cost will be more.

Can TAMS media clarify please ???

See Canberra times article below in particular the following words: (one road project to me= 1 stage, though yes proposed as two initially)

“It’s an extra 550 metres, so we’ll be able to add that to the current tender, and they’ll see one road project delivered, and we expect it will all be completed in 2017”

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/government-promises-full-duplication-of-ashley-drive-20160524-gp2xeh.html

JC 11:23 am 26 May 16

Lurker2913 said :

Mordd said :

Think you will find the remaining 500m has been added to the existing contract so not a separate stage.

Really ? The ACT Govt has always spoken about Stage 1 and 2 of the duplication. Never mind.

According to the Canberra Times on 13 March this year, :

” Tenders for its construction are still being evaluated and a contractor is expected to be appointed in coming weeks when an open tender process for the rest of the major duplication works will also be advertised.”

See :
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/road-work-begins-on-duplication-of-tuggeranongs-ashley-drive-20160315-gnjnar.html

That indicates to me that the last 500 metres was in fact a separate tender. The fact that it might have been “added to the existing contract” as you claim is a contractual mechanism that might be used if the tenderer for stage 1 was also successful in bidding for stage 2 (the last 500 metres or so).

If they were separate tenders, then the cost will be more.

Can TAMS media clarify please ???

To be built concurrently.

rommeldog56 9:34 am 26 May 16

Mordd said :

Think you will find the remaining 500m has been added to the existing contract so not a separate stage.

Really ? The ACT Govt has always spoken about Stage 1 and 2 of the duplication. Never mind.

According to the Canberra Times on 13 March this year, :

” Tenders for its construction are still being evaluated and a contractor is expected to be appointed in coming weeks when an open tender process for the rest of the major duplication works will also be advertised.”

See :
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/road-work-begins-on-duplication-of-tuggeranongs-ashley-drive-20160315-gnjnar.html

That indicates to me that the last 500 metres was in fact a separate tender. The fact that it might have been “added to the existing contract” as you claim is a contractual mechanism that might be used if the tenderer for stage 1 was also successful in bidding for stage 2 (the last 500 metres or so).

If they were separate tenders, then the cost will be more.

Can TAMS media clarify please ???

JC 7:25 pm 25 May 16

rommeldog56 said :

Whilst this is welcome news, why was not this last 150 metres or so done at the same time as the rest of the duplication currently just started ?

Why will it be across 2 years ??? You just signed up for a b$1,.5 tram but could not find the $ to duplicate the whole length of Ashley Drive in one go ??? How much more $ will it cost ACT Ratepayers to do the duplication in 2 stages ??

The will be ongoing impact on traffic on Ashley Drive for a long, long time if the remaining 150 metres or so is to be done over 2 years, which will be following the duplication works for most of it that have now started.

Well, I suppose its good overall. Thank god its an election year though ! Now, all they have to do is to honor that commitment and timetable – it took them many ACt elections to make good on their promise to duplicate Ashley drive in the first place.

Think you will find the remaining 500m has been added to the existing contract so not a separate stage.

henryans 3:00 pm 25 May 16

So Barr, Corbell and Rattenbury fold quicker with their green social engineering plan than expected.
I guess the sniff of loosing their power and in turn their influence is worrying them, hence the yeah we’ll build roads as well, we want parents to be able to drop their kids off,, do shopping, see we care.
Hopefully the average Canberrans sees through their lies

Mysteryman 2:42 pm 25 May 16

Mordd said :

Like the last announcement back in 2012, now we wait until before the next election so they can promise us again that they will duplicate Ashley Drive…

There is another option: don’t vote Labor.

Observing 12:51 pm 25 May 16

Like the last announcement back in 2012, now we wait until before the next election so they can promise us again that they will duplicate Ashley Drive. In the mean time, zero work done. Apart for Gunghalin where multiple projects will appear using up the promised Ashley Drive money and get done instead. Fool me once, as they say.

bj_ACT 12:20 pm 25 May 16

ACT Labor flagged the Ashley Drive Duplication before the 2010 Election. Katy Gallagher in 2012 formerly announced that “That’s why if re-elected, ACT Labor will invest $19.6 million to duplicate Ashley Drive between Erindale Drive and Johnson Drive” for completion in 2015/16.

Andrew Barr re-announced the duplication but only to Ellerston Ave in 2015, but he is now getting credit for going back to Labor’s original Election promise. Labor has continually promised and re-promised duplication for the most heavily used single lane main road in Canberra for over half a decade and still not actually started work on it!

It’s about time Labor got called out for this continuing false promise by the media, not annually congratulated with a positive story about how they are going to duplicate Ashley Drive (only for it to not happen again and again).

See link below from 2012. http://www.katygallagher.net/act_labor_to_invest_19_6_million_to_further_upgrade_and_duplicate_ashley_drive

Garfield 12:14 pm 25 May 16

Why isn’t this article titled “Government matches Opposition commitment to duplicate remainder of Ashley Drive”? The Liberals made this announcement in March and the government is playing catch up. Not even mentioning that is very poor journalism.

gooterz 9:37 am 25 May 16

And yetthe Athlon drive isnt done? Are they waiting for the feds to chip in.
Most of the roadworks on the south side being this and Cotter road are just projects that were half done last election cycle.

rommeldog56 8:46 am 25 May 16

Whilst this is welcome news, why was not this last 150 metres or so done at the same time as the rest of the duplication currently just started ? Why will it be across 2 years ??? You just signed up for a b$1,.5 tram but could not find the $ to duplicate the whole length of Ashley Drive in one go ??? How much more $ will it cost ACT Ratepayers to do the duplication in 2 stages ??

The will be ongoing impact on traffic on Ashley Drive for a long, long time if the remaining 150 metres or so is to be done over 2 years, which will be following the duplication works for most of it that have now started.

Well, I suppose its good overall. Thank god its an election year though ! Now, all they have to do is to honor that commitment and timetable – it took them many ACt elections to make good on their promise to duplicate Ashley drive in the first place.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site