No special occasion is complete without a delicious, show-stopping, photo-worthy cake.
Whether it’s your child’s birthday party, your wedding day, or you just feel like a sweet treat, there’s nothing quite like a slice of cake.
From classic chocolate and vanilla, to more adventurous flavours such as salted caramel and tropical fruit, you’ll want a cake shop that creates wonders every time. That includes for traditional cakes, contemporary cakes, and cakes that meet speciality dietary needs.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a cake shop, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great cake shop?
Choosing the right cake shop can ensure you’ll get a real treat for your money. For special occasions, selecting the best cake shop can take the stress out of worrying if the cake will be “just right” and made on time.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a cake shop.
- Exciting range. Everyone’s tastes are different. Having said that you’ll always want a cake that tantalises the tastebuds. You might also want to try something new, so choose a cake shop that has an exciting range.
- Quality ingredients. Selecting a cake shop that only uses quality ingredients makes all the difference in the world. The best cake shops know that each ingredient counts.
- Well-priced. Cakes can require many ingredients and hours of labour, so they can cost a fair bit. That being said, you should always get what you pay for. The best cake shops charge a fair price for their sweets.
- Professionally trained bakers. The more experience bakers have, the better their cakes will be. If you’re after something sensational, look for a bakery with professionally trained pastry chefs.
- Special dietary requirements. If you have food intolerances or need a cake that meets special dietary requirements, check that the cake shop can make the grade. Check online for specialty products or phone to talk to the cake shop.
The best cake shops in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
The Cake Lady Canberra is a local supplier of special occasion and wedding cakes. Each is made with quality ingredients and a whole lot of love. Cakes are all baked fresh to order and can be custom made to any size, shape, theme and taste. The Cake Lady Canberra is known for her attention to detail. Allergies are catered for on request.
On Google, Tanya Taylor wrote, “The Cake Lady is very talented and professional. Her cakes and designs are amazing.”
L’Orange Patisserie’s selection of cakes both look beautiful and taste amazing. Small cakes, larger cakes, and special occasion cakes are all available. So too are gluten-free options and custom ordered cakes. Chef Wim Den Hartog has brought over 30 years’ experience in Michelin-starred restaurants and some of Canberra’s best hospitality venues to L’Orange Patisserie.
Anna Prosser wrote on Google, “… a truly French, Dutch, European range of excellent bakery goods from croissants to the finest cakes.”
The Continental Cake Shop was established in March 2015 by a small, but experienced team—a cake business owner, manager and pastry cake chef. All cakes are tailored to customer tastes and can be made gluten-free, eggless and vegan. High-quality cheesecakes, mudcakes and specialty cakes are on the menu.
Shelphy Wills wrote on Google, “The best quality cakes ever. Not overly sweet. Easy to order by phone. Very reliable staff. Reasonable price.”
The master bakers at The Flute Bakery handcraft a delectable range of quintessentially French cakes, including various flavoured gateaux, flourless cakes and tarts. All sweet and savoury products are made with quality ingredients and great care. They look as wonderful as they taste.
As Tracy Montgomery wrote on Google, “Incredible pastries, cakes, breads, pies, sandwiches, macarons and more. The bakers at The Flute are magicians with pastry and the flavour combinations are delicious.”
Sweet Bones makes cakes and cupcakes for all occasions, including weddings. Delectable vegan-friendly and gluten-free cakes are available in a wide range of flavours and styles. Sweet Bones makes cakes in various sizes. Each looks gorgeous and is a taste sensation in its own right.
Jamie Soaki wrote on Google, “As a non-vegan, I was thoroughly impressed by their food. The brownie I had was delicious, to the point that I ordered a friend’s birthday cake from Sweet Bones.”
If you’re looking for more information on sweet treats, including for celebratory occasions, you might like our articles on the best custom birthday cakes, best wedding cakes, best bakeries and the best cupcakes Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with cake shops in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.