There’s a lot that goes into planning a wedding – between catering, location, invites and more, organising your wedding is one of the greatest tasks many of us will take on in our lives. And, in the middle of it all is the wedding cake! The centrepiece of any reception, your wedding cake is one of the most important ways in which you and your spouse can really elevate your celebration.
However, as with any aspect of wedding planning, deciding on a wedding cake can feel like a daunting task. What flavour will work for your party? What design should be chosen? How big should it be? All of these questions can be easily answered by a professional wedding cake baker, who can help you formulate exactly what kind of cake you want, and then make that dream a reality.
But in a city like Canberra with so many talented bakers available, how do you know who to choose? We’re here to help. In this article, we’ll give you a few traits to hunt for in a great wedding cake baker, as well as a guide to some of Canberra’s top businesses.
What makes a great wedding cake?
Deciding on who to hire to bake a wedding cake is one of the most important decisions to make while planning a wedding. Here are some important things to look for in a great baker:
- Customisable design. There’s no rule that says wedding cakes have to look a certain way. Maybe the traditional look isn’t desired. Perhaps something with colour is prefered. A great wedding cake baker will consider personal tastes when designing the cake to make sure it fits with a wedding’s overall style.
- Affordable. Weddings can become an expensive affair as the costs begin to stack up – but not everything has to cost a fortune. Look out for competitively priced bakers who don’t sacrifice quality for cost.
- Reliable. Successful wedding planning often comes down to well-managed timing, and wedding cakes (unsurprisingly) can take quite a while to bake. The best wedding cakes are made my timely bakers who can work to a schedule. To make sure the baker is able to deliver the cake on time, its best to read through previous client experiences.
- High quality, fresh ingredients. It’d be a shame to have waited weeks for a cake and spent quite a bit of money, only for it to arrive and not be delicious. Only bakers that are using the best ingredients are baking the tastiest cakes. In addition, a great wedding cake baker will give tastings to clients as they choose.
- Excellent communication. From the design stage to time management to delivery, communication is important. The best wedding cakes are made by bakers who can talk openly and be reliable.
The best wedding cakes in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Ciao Café & Cakes, with locations both in Queanbeyan and Braddon, is a wonderful little café with a passion for friendly customer service. They take great pride in their team of enthusiastic bakers and baristas. Alongside their range of 40 standard cakes made fresh daily, Ciao Café & Cakes also take custom cake orders for all occasions – including weddings.
As Google reviewer Georgia Quinn writes, “Awesome food and even better staff! The owners are so welcoming!”
The Cake Lady, founded by Linda in 2011, carries on the baking legacy of Linda’s mother Amelia (from the now-closed Amelia’s Cakes). Linda is dedicated to providing her clients with personalised service, delivering wonderful and creative cakes made with high-quality ingredients to suit any occasion.
As Facebook user Dianne Jensen wrote, “What a wedding cake! Your creation was exactly what we’d hoped for, and delicious. Your professionalism captured our thoughts. Thank you so much.”
Not Just a Piece of Cake has been making fully customisable, beautifully decorated and delicious cakes since 2010. With a passion for cooking and an eye for detail, this award-winning bakery is committed to making your wedding cake perfectly suited to your tastes – both flavour and design!
As ‘Local Guide’ Jamie Ison writes in their Google review, “Great cakes, friendly service, great prices. The mud cake that Sandra makes is amazing.”
Cheryl’s Signature Cakes specialises in custom designed celebration cakes, from birthdays to weddings. Founder and baker Cheryl works personally with every customer to create something delicious, stylish and unique, and makes all cakes from scratch using fresh ingredients of the highest quality.
As Kelly Oh writes in their Facebook review, “Fantastic and beautiful 4 tier wedding cake at a great price, and masses of compliments on all four flavours! Thanks so much my dear!”
Are you planning a wedding in the Canberra region, and you need a guide to some of Canberra’s best wedding planning services? Check out our articles on the best celebrants, the best photographers and the best venues in Canberra for some useful information that will help you plan the perfect wedding.
Your experience with wedding cakes in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the wedding cake bakeries listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below!