While uber cool Jetson-like floating vehicles may be light years away, the rise of electric cars brings the promise of tomorrow to today. Indeed, the world is finally taking note of the many benefits that electric cars can bring. From lower carbon emissions and cleaner air, through to cost efficient driving, the impacts are both grand and small.
As we pan across the globe the trend for electronic cars, otherwise know as EVs, is swiftly on the rise. Countries like the Netherlands, France, and China have taken a liking to pure battery electric vehicles, while the United Kingdom and Japan skew more towards plug-in hybrids. In fact, the International Energy Agency have suggested that 125 million EVs could be on the world’s roads by 2030.
So where does that leave us here in Canberra? Well, after a slow start we are finally seeing the floodgates open. The electric vehicle fleet has expanded significantly over recent years, driven by advances in technology and supportive policies. From the mid-market all the way through to prestige, electric models are being released in droves.
But with so much hype, where does one even start? Hesitations around early-mover technology, charging station infrastructure, range anxiety, and charge times, can make the path to purchase overwhelming.
Thankfully, our nation’s capital is home to a select crew of specialist electric car retailers. Offering multiple brands, or models under one, these retailers are passionate about getting you started on your electric journey. And, given the size of the investment, it pays to have sound advice on your side. So, where to find these gems? Read on below.
What makes a great electric car retailer?
Great electric car retailers are champions of the future of motoring. They are EV tech experts who are eager to help you reap the benefits of owning your own electrically powered car. Here is what we think you should keep in mind while shopping around:
- EV experts. Electric cars are fundamentally different to their traditional combustion engine counterparts. Whether you are considering a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or a full battery version there is quite a lot to learn. And, as with anything on the quest for something new, misinformation is rife. That is why is consulting only the best will do. So, before you hit the streets do some homework to seek out the EV experts in Canberra. Look for specialised retailers with a focus in pure electrics or manufacturer specific dealerships with experts at hand. They should be able to provide you with the ins and outs of running, maintaining, and troubleshooting your EV. This includes all the fundamentals like EV range, expected charge times based on use, plug type, charge options and so on.
- Comprehensive range. As with conventional fuel cars, electric vehicles come in many shapes and sizes. Each offers the driver something new, with features and benefits a plenty. Finding a dealer with a comprehensive range is particularly useful when you first embark on your EV purchase journey. It provides greater exposure to what is available on the market; and allows you to test driving a few makes and models under the one roof. The EV driving experience is known for being unique, so get your hands on as many wheels as possible.
- Model match. There is no denying that buying a car is a big-ticket purchase decision. And, as a car purchase can see us through an average of ten years; it pays to get it right. So, when shopping around for your next EV carefully consider your needs and match a model accordingly. Factors to consider include budget, frequency of use and driver style, and of course range and charge times. Moreover, consider whether installing a home station is feasible for you, and investigate available public charging stations in your area.
- Servicing & spare parts. As full battery electric vehicles have fewer moving parts, they generally require less maintenance. That said, given their uniqueness, electric cars do require specialised care when it comes to servicing. Furthermore, their engine composition is quite different, requiring fit for purpose parts. As such, be sure to investigate ancillary services offered by your retailer, namely servicing and parts. Local servicing is always more convenient in the long run so do keep this in mind.
- Wonderful warranties. When it comes to making a new car purchase, warranty periods are incredibly important. Lengthy warranties affirm a manufacturer’s backing of their product, while giving you the consumer peace of mind. Be sure to query the conditions, inclusions, and exclusions noted in warranty terms before signing the dotted line. If you are buying a used electric car, be sure there is a safe and secure warranty available with a warranty company of integrity.
The best places to buy electric cars in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Locally based Ion DNA was brought to fruition by former rally driver Rob Ogilvie, who opened its doors in 2018 to capture the first adopter market in electrically powered performance products.
As president of the peak industry body for independent motor vehicle importers, the Registered Automotive Workshop Association, Rob saw a huge market opportunity for electric cars. Fast forward five years and demand for electrically powered transport solutions are riding the world, and indeed Canberra over.
Conveniently located in Fyshwick, Ion DNA boasts Australia’s first dedicated all-electrical vehicle showroom, full to the brim of the latest innovations on offer. Ion DNA is an electric enthusiast’s dream, featuring the full spectrum of everyday e-mobility solutions, from cars to scooters, bikes, and skateboards.
When it comes to electric vehicles this team are true experts, they live and breathe electrically powered products day in, day out. Their range of EVs currently includes the award-winning Nissan Leaf and highly acclaimed Honda-e.
Ion DNA strives to provide consumers with real choice through their comprehensive range of affordable zero emission eco-friendly cars. They also pride themselves on their no-pressure approach, a refreshing change which stems from a relaxed customer approach.
Ion DNA are committed to deliver outstanding service and exceptional product knowledge across the phone, web, through socials, or face to face. They are steadfast in their approach to ensuring all customers are able to experience the game-changing benefits that electric vehicles bring.
Anyone considering making the switch to an electric car must pay Ion DNA a visit.
Michael McDonald shared this experience on Facebook, “Took my family out to test drive an electric vehicle today and Rob was great, very helpful and informative. Knows his stuff and is generous with his knowledge and time.”
National Capital Hyundai have been servicing the local region for over thirty years. Along with this heritage, comes the benefits offered by the global super brand – and their stellar reputation for delivering award winning electric cars.
The fully electric Hyundai Kona has received world-wide recognition for both its performance and style. If you are looking for a high value electric SUV with servicing and parts all under the one roof, consider National Capital Hyundai.
Jen Wetselaar shared this review on Google, “Isaac Bischof at National Capital Hyundai helped me buy my new Hyundai Kona yesterday. I could not have been happier with the service, politeness and support I received from this gentleman. Prompt and cheerful.”
As the regions only accredited BMW dealer, Rolfe Classic BMW have been selling and servicing vehicles for over forty years. Offering a full range of BMW products and services in one handy location, this passionate team are committed to delivering the ultimate service experience.
As for electric cars, Rolfe Classic BMW proudly presents its BMWi range including the all-electric i3, with additional models soon to come. If you are considering options for an EV, Rolfe Classic BMW are well worth a visit.
Photography Clickzz shared this sentiment on Google, “Brilliant staff and showroom. The staff are very hospitable and extremely helpful. Guy helped us purchase our new BMW a while ago and we were very impressed. A great experience here at Rolfe Classic!”
For over fifty years, family owned Lennock Nissan have been selling and servicing cars in Canberra and surrounds. As a multi award-winning dealership, they offer sales, parts, and servicing for their extensive range.
Lennock Nissan is also home to the globally renowned all-electric Nissan Leaf. This new generation electric vehicle boasts a smarter, safer drive, by coupling innovations in EV technology with everyday driving. To explore your EV options be sure to add Lennock Nissan to your list.
Philip Wheatley shared this feedback on Google, “Great sales team, excellent service and vehicles. Timely and special delivery of purchases.”
Mercedes Benz Canberra are part of one of the largest automotive groups in Australia. Since launching their state-of-the art dealership in 2015, they have assisted thousands of Canberrans with new and pre-owned vehicles.
When it comes to EVs Mercedes Benz Canberra boasts the all-electric and award winning EQC. With quick charge times and a thrilling drive, they also offer servicing and parts as needed. Moreover, As one of only twenty-four authorised EQ retailers Australia wide, Mercedes Benz Canberra makes for an excellent choice.
Michael Motha shared a review on his experience on Google, “The service I received from Mercedes Benz Canberra is unlike I have ever experienced before. The team gave a level of support that is unmatched! It made buying a new car a very convenient and enjoyable experience! …. Thank you and I will always recommend Mercedes Benz Canberra 10/10 times always.”
If you’re in the market for more alternative transport options, check out our articles on the best electric skateboard shops in Canberra and the best electric scooter shops and servicing for some handy information.
Your experience with electric car retailers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the electric car retailers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.