You may have been toying with this idea for some time. Pondering how and when. Perhaps you have been rationalising the decision. Carefully constructing each aspect in your mind. Even visualising yourself in the driver’s seat.
And who can blame you? A luxury car is an option afforded to few but desired by many. The automotive prowess. The refined designs. The customisation. The prestige. All wrapped up in a big red bow waiting for you on the showroom floor.
While the thought of a new luxury car will get hearts racing, the challenge is knowing where to start. There are so many manufacturers, even more models, and enough options to make a diva blush. Even the most seasoned car buyers may sigh at the thought of venturing out and hunting their next purchase.
The good news is that if you are considering buying a luxury car you have come to the right place. Why? Because Canberra is home to an impressive array of luxury car dealerships. These dealerships have the pleasure of specialising in more indulgent makes and models all imported from far flung lands.
So who are the best luxury car dealerships in Canberra? Well, we have scoured the streets and curated a list of the finest luxury automotive dealerships in town. So, to open the door to a more refined driving experience read on below.
What makes a great luxury car dealership?
Great luxury car dealerships know how to up the ante. They provide first-class service and even better driving machines that surprise and delight even the fussiest of buyers. Here are some attributes that make a great luxury car dealership stand out from the crowd:
- Glowing reputation. The best luxury car dealerships have built an enviable reputation that is the talk of the town. A great way assess reputation is by reviewing past client experiences, either online or through people you know. Within a matter of moments, you will be able to ascertain how their reputation fares. But don’t stop there, dig a little deeper. Look for cues that indicate whether staff or the dealership as whole have won any awards or industry recognition. Also consider any social or cultural contributions they may make such as sponsorships and alike.
- Silver service. When purchasing a luxury item superior service is not only expected; it is assumed. The best luxury car dealerships have red carpet at the ready with silver service standards through and through. From the moment you enter to the moment you leave the best luxury dealerships treat you well. Whether it be a cold drink on a hot day or a hot drink on a cold one, simple little surprises make the shopping experience a delight. Look for state of the art facilities, all-round pleasant and helpful staff, and a solutions centric approach.
- Beautifully bespoke. One of the greatest benefits that comes with purchasing a luxury car is that is can be created just for you. Luxury cars set themselves apart from the pack by offering a range of high-end features not available in other models. The best luxury dealerships allow for endless customisation, altering a standard vehicle and transforming it into something beautifully bespoke. Options typically include those that provide greater levels of comfort, offer increased features, and deliver improved driving performance. Even visual aesthetics come into play, with customisation of paintwork and wheels, through to internal finishes and fixtures.
- Warranties & servicing. Often the most attractive luxury car offers include lengthy warranty and service periods. Why? Because of the peace of mind this offers clients. So, shop around for the best warranty and service package you can find. Review all inclusions, understand what is in and out, and be comfortable with the fine print. Not only does this ensure your vehicle is serviced by skilled hands; it provides peace of mind that issues will be covered.
- Prestige privileges. When it comes to the luxury car market, buyers are purchasing more than simply features alone. They are also buying into a lifestyle, with the car translating this symbolism into reality. Value, therefore, is beholden to the eye of the buyer. Luxury car dealerships know this well. They understand that there are more layers to value than simply price alone. They provide a range of prestige privileges to support the sale and ownership thereafter. These privileges can translate to pricing offers or lengthy warranty periods. Alternatively, they can be service based with things like complimentary loan cars, car washing, and pick-up and drop-off. Some even offer access to owner-based clubs and special events.
The best luxury car dealerships in Canberra.
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
After first opening their doors over thirty years ago, Lexus of Canberra have been proudly serving the local community ever since. Featuring a dual sales and service centre, they boast an impressive array of luxury vehicles each embodying the spirit of Omotenashi – purposeful creation to suit the driver.
Renowned the world over for their pursuit of excellence Lexus boasts some of the most widely recognised luxury cars on the market. From sedan, through to coupe, convertible, SUV and more; Lexus of Canberra offers premium solutions for the discerning driver.
Each luxury Lexus model provides a multi-dimensional experience that goes beyond their exceptional craftsmanship. With improved power and performance comes the opportunity to personalise each vehicle to suit individual tastes. And, for those looking to experience the drive of tomorrow today, Lexus of Canberra also boasts a wide range of hybrid vehicle options.
To add to this, the Lexus Encore programme provides a raft of exclusive privileges from on road assistance through to lifestyle benefits and access to special events. For a truly memorable experience that lasts well beyond the sale look to Lexus of Canberra.
Bei Chen shared this glowing review on Google, “The Lexus sales crew in Phillips are amazing! They were so helpful assisting us in choosing the right car for us…. and helped us expedite the delivery and updated us on the car status throughout the process! Highly recommend anyone who is interested in purchasing Lexus should pay them a visit!”
As one of the worlds most well-known and respected premium car brands, Volvo Cars Canberra have a local history that spans decades. As part of an award-winning dealership group, they have established a glowing reputation for their standards of service.
With an all-inclusive sales and service centre Volvo Cars Canberra is in a class of its own. Full to the brim with an extensive range of models, they cater to every luxury buyer’s whim.
From the sleek S60 sedan to the popular range of compact, mid, and large SUV’s, they all have one thing in common: Scandinavian luxe. That is, a carefully constructed blend of comfort, safety, and style.
With endless accessories and a raft of options, each vehicle can be customised to suit the needs of the buyer. Add to this Volvo’s impressive after car servicing and supportive on-road programmes, this luxury dealer is hard to beat. To experience the essence of omtanke be sure to pay them a visit.
Princess shared this great review on Google, “XC60 is the real deal. Luxury, beauty, sleek and smart combined…. Canberra Volvo is highly recommended any day, anytime.”
When it comes to luxury cars Lennock Jaguar really step into their own. Boasting a comprehensive range of performance-based models, Jaguar truly lives up to its name. From the zippy and sporty F-Type, to the smooth XE and XF Sedans, and the latest and greatest SUV’s there is much to choose from.
Lennock Jaguar pride themselves on being easy to do business with, and their knowledgeable and personable staff are always ready to help. Whether a new or pre-owned Jaguar is on the cards, be sure to pop in and pay the team a visit.
Matthew Berrisford shared this experience on Google, “I recently purchased and had delivered a new Jaguar from the team at Lennock Jaguar. Everyone in the team was great…. Fantastic effort everyone keep up the good work.”
As Canberra's home of Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-Benz Canberra provide the highest levels of service for clients. Their state-of-the-art showroom boasts an extensive range of new passenger, commercial, and pre-owned vehicles to explore and drive.
Their dynamic performance, ageless charm and endless options for personalisation are inherent the range through. From the A Class Hatchback to C Class GLA SUV through to their and award-winning electric models Mercedes Benz Canberra are an excellent choice.
Michael Motha had this to say on Google, “The service I received from Mercedes Benz Canberra is unlike I have ever experienced before. The team gave a level of support that is unmatched! It made buying a new car a very convenient and enjoyable experience!”
As Canberra’s only accredited BMW dealership, Canberra BMW have built a stellar reputation servicing the local community for over forty years. Their passionate and experienced team are committed to providing the ultimate client experience.
With an ethos baked in premium performance, Canberra BMW offers the entire range of luxury and electronic vehicles from the sporty BMW 1 Series to the luxurious BMW 7 Series and beyond. And should you wish, the team offer a multitude of options to create your next BMW as an expression of your personality.
Carolin Roberts shared this feedback on Google, “….I am completely satisfied with the level of customer service I have received. Fantastic, friendly, and very courteous staff who go out of their way to make things flow smoothly for you. Highly recommend Canberra BMW.”
Porsche Centre Canberra are known for their boundless passion for design, speed, and excellence. Their exclusive range of luxury vehicles are known the world over, from the 911 to the Taycan and ever popular Cayenne SUV.
Their experienced team are on hand to inspire and explore requirements, to book a demonstration, or to discuss finance options. Porsche Centre Canberra also offers a full palette of after-sales services conveniently located under the one roof. For the exhilaration of driving a Porsche, look to Porsche Centre Canberra.
Raj Pather shared this glowing review on Google, “It was an absolute pleasure to pick up a new vehicle from Graham and his team at Porsche Centre Canberra…. I would highly recommend them for your next Porsche and will certainly be buying my next one for them.”
To expand your options be sure to check out this article on the best car dealerships and the best used car dealerships in the region. If electric cars are more your thing, check out our article on the best places to buy an electric car in Canberra.
If you’re interested in your car’s long-term maintenance our articles on the best car service centres or best mechanics in Canberra may help. And to keep that showroom sparkle check out our articles on the best car washes and the best car detailers Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with luxury car dealerships in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the luxury car dealerships listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is a luxury car different?
While the word ‘luxury’ is used everywhere in the automotive space, a true luxury car is typically defined by high end features that go above and beyond those found in regular counterparts. Think increased levels of comfort, customisation, features, performance, quality and of course status.
What is the luxury car tax?
The luxury car tax (LCT) is a tax placed on cars valued above thresholds determined by the Australian Tax Office (ATO). The LCT applies to car sales of vehicles that are two years old or less. The value typically includes the retail price (inclusive of GST and any customs duty), dealer delivery, and any extras purchased and applied. It applies to sales of cars that are two years old or less. A car’s value is determined by the retail price, including GST and any customs duty, dealer delivery and extra items applied to the car before delivery.
How much is the luxury car tax and what is the threshold?
The Australian Tax Office (ATO) states that the luxury car tax is set at 33% of the value of the vehicle above the luxury car threshold. It is worth noting that vehicles deemed as fuel efficient (i.e., consumption that does not exceed seven litres per 100km) benefit from a lower luxury tax threshold. For the 2021/2022 financial year thresholds are set as $79,659 for fuel-efficient vehicles and $69,152 for other vehicles.
Can I qualify for a luxury car tax exemption?
Under some circumstances the Australian Tax Office (ATO) permits tax exemptions for luxury cars. For businesses who are registered for GST, have an Australian Business Number, and using the car for specific purposes may qualify. Moreover, those selling a car imported less than two years ago, or for cars registered as emergency vehicles; those modified to accommodate disabled; to transport goods only; or used as a motorhome may also be exempt. For further information please visit the ATO.
When is the best time to buy a luxury car?
When it comes to securing a luxury car in Canberra, good timing can make the world of difference. As with most retailers, car dealerships have quotas for monthly, quarterly, and yearly sales goals. This opens the gate to several opportunities throughout the year for a better deal. The first two major periods are end of financial year (June) and end of calendar year (December); where dealerships are increasingly motivated to move stock for new models. The same applies for plate-clearance sales. End of month or end of quarter can also be promising should the dealer need to reach sales quotas. Finally, model-run out sales can allow you to secure a deal on stock that will be replaced by newer models.