There’s no denying that proper tax accounting can take a huge amount of time. But if you choose the wrong accountant, your return can end up costing more, or contain mistakes that may incur heavy financial penalties from the ATO.
That’s why many Canberrans invest in proper tax accounting services, both for straightforward personal taxes and for more involved business taxes. Either way, sourcing a reliable accountant that charges a fair price can be a challenge.
After reading through our local readers’ feedback, we’ve come up with this list of the top accountant services in Canberra. If you’ve had experience with any of these companies, please share your story below.
Let’s get right to it.
What makes a great tax accountant?
Hiring an accountant can be pricey – but when the job is done to professional standards, it’s worth every penny. When looking for a top-quality tax accountant in the Canberra region, we suggest keeping an eye out for the following positive traits.
- Strong knowledge. If you need a tax accountant that can save you the most on tax, opt for a company with extensive knowledge.
- Effective communication. Your tax accountant should be able to translate “money speak” into plain English
- A tailored approach. Look for an accountant who is willing to answer your questions and learn about your particular situation.
- Self-awareness. Look for someone who openly discusses what they’re good at and what their flaws are – and hopefully how the rest of their team compliments and compensates for them.
- Client base. Ask them what kind of clients do they normally see, and what services do they provide. Find out if they have clients like you and experience in the services you need. You can always request to talk to a current client to see if they are happy with the services provided.
- Understanding and personalisation. Choose a tax accountant that understands your business and your needs and takes the time to analyse your situation.
- Engagement. Choose a tax accountant that gets involved in your business.
- A plan and a direction. Look for a firm who can guide your business in the right direction. If you want an accountant to help you grow your business, for example, they’ll need expertise in estate planning, business planning, strategic planning, budgeting and cash flow management.
- Access to your business data. Make sure you’ll be given full access to all your business data. Accountants can provide you with information to update your business plan or a tender document.
- Financial management. Consider working with an accounting practice that provides regular financial reports on your business, with additional commentary.
- Regular communication and education. The best tax accountants send out regular newsletters or other forms of communication to keep clients informed of issues of interest to their businesses. Find out how you’ll be informed, particularly of any changes to legislation.
- Accessibility. Choose a tax accountant that you can get in touch with easily either in person or over the phone.
- Timeliness. As with any service choose a tax accountant that has quick response times to your queries.
- Lodged on time. In tax accounting it is important that everything is lodged on time to avoid issues with the ATO – make sure you choose the most reliable companies.
- Works to get you your maximum tax refund. Make sure the firm you choose is savvy enough to make sure you get the full refund.
- The right qualifications. Your tax accountant should have an accounting qualification and be a member of an accounting body. Your accountant can only give you tax advice if they’re a tax agent. They can only provide financial planning advice if they have an Australian Financial Services licence or are an authorised representative of such a licence holder.
- Age of the business. Find out what the practices succession plan if it’s mature. You don’t want to start a relationship with an accountant and then have them leave you in the lurch if they sell or retire.
- Keep track of changes in client’s circumstances. Services should include check-ups on how any plans are going.
Don’t forget, at a minimum you should contact an accountant:
- Before starting, buying or selling a business
- Before acquiring or replacing property, plant or other assets
- Sometime between January and June 30 each year to plan for the end of the financial year – so there are no tax surprises
- If you’re planning future expansion
- If you’re having problems with creditors, debtors, finance, expenses or stock.
The best tax accountants in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
RSM Canberra is one of Canberra’s longest serving tax accounting firms. Andrew and Rhys’ friendly team specialise in individual and business tax returns, as well as a variety of other accounting services.
As a local company, RSM Canberra prides itself on understanding your business, timeliness and making sure you get your maximum refund. Its team is available for work year-round, excluding the Christmas period.
RiotACT commenter Tim Benson shared his experience as an RSM Canberra client, “Ever since I’ve been in business, last 20 years, RSM Canberra have been my business advisors and tax accountants. Not only does RSM help me with my business and tax, but they actively support my business and are still are one of my best clients. RSM Canberra really know Canberra and understand the strange and wonderful ‘bubble’ we all live in.”
Founded in 2016, AdvisorCorp offers accounting, taxation and financial services to local individuals and businesses. With their methods designed specifically to assist locally owned business, they have a wide range of services aimed at offering holistic support for small businesses. The team of qualified tax accountants, bookkeepers and mortgage brokers at AdvisorCorp is dedicated to delivering personalised, quality and practical services to their clients to help build and develop sustainable businesses.
AdvisorCorp assists individuals and businesses with succeeding in today’s tax environment. With a strong commitment to establishing collaborative relationships with their clients, and experience in dealing with a wide range of issues and particular needs, the team at AdvisorCorp promises to provide you with advice that is specific to you. They’ve also made adjustments to their model to meet social distancing requirements with no compromise on the quality of delivery – AdvisorCorp can receive your information electronically, communicate with you directly over the phone or a video conference, as well as send your return back via email, that can be signed electronically.
AdvisorCorp assists individuals and businesses with succeeding in today’s tax environment. The team of qualified accountants, bookkeepers and mortgage brokers are skilled at establishing collaborative relationships. They never treat customers like a number but rather take time to provide tailored, personal advice. Services are flexible with AdvisorCorp able to receive information electronically; communicate by phone or video conference and arrange for tax returns to be delivered by email and signed electronically.
As Google reviewer Melissa Ryan writes about their experience with AdvisorCorp, “As current clients of AdvisorCorp we have continually been delivered the best service and professionalism from the entire team.”
Completely Taylored, established in 2016, is one of only a few organisations that works with a team-based approach at no extra cost, making it a more affordable option for all your bookkeeping needs. Founded on the principles of “Freedom, Flexibility and Functionality, the team of industry experts at Completely Taylored is committed to providing you with effective and efficient business solutions.
Because of their team-based approach, you are given the opportunity to receive a level of service and care that is second to none as the advice you receive draws on every team member’s specialisations, from sales, accounting, marketing, management and bookkeeping.
Completely Taylored’s accounting services are comprehensive and thorough, and they can help you with a wide range of obligations from annual tax compliance, Business Activity Statement review and lodgement, annual audits, and liaising with auditors.
April Rose wrote the following in their review for Completely Taylored, “Very professional, friendly and hardworking team. Highly recommend.”
If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working with a proactive tax accountant, Rubik3 could be the firm for you. It’s a multi-award winning Canberra professional services firm that specialises in tax services, business services, asset protection and tax planning.
Rubik3’s approach to tax accounting centres around forward planning. Instead of waiting until after 30 June to work out how to maximise your tax refund, its team prefers to meet with you at the beginning of the year to work out the best strategy for paying less tax.
When you work with Rubik3, you can expect a professional and personalised experience. The firm is ranked 35 in The Australian Financial Review’s Top 100 accounting firms, and is the Australian Growth Company 2019 Business Services Growth Company of the Year.
Aero Group specialises in small and medium business taxation and business advisory services. The firm assists clients to perform at a high level across six pillars – grow, tax, wealth, protect, optimise and exit. Services begin with a strong understanding of a business owners’ lifecycle. Determining where a business is at and understanding its core drivers and needs enable Aero Group to always deliver the best outcome for clients and enable them to reach their true potential.
Aero Group guarantees that clients will pay the least amount of tax legally possible. Each client is assigned a trusted business advisor and mentor, offering advice in plain English and providing both value-for-money and peace of mind. Dedicated staff are proactive in keeping clients informed and up-to-date on matters relevant to business and financial health.
Growing businesses, increasing profitability, improving cash flow, protecting assets, creating wealth, being financially organised and developing strategic planning are all part of Aero Group’s service equation.
Whilst you’re looking for more information on managing your finances, check out our articles on the best chartered accountants, best financial planners and best defined benefits super financial planners. Or, if you’re looking for more information specific to your business, check out our articles on the best business advisors and best bookkeepers for more information.
Your experience with tax accountants in Canberra
Do you have a go-to tax accountant? Maybe you’ve recently tried working with one of the companies mentioned above.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra tax accountants. Who would you recommend? Who would you use again?