Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Chamberlains - complete legal services for business

Boarders Escape From Girls Grammar Dormitory Inferno!

By johnboy - 17 May 2005 14

ABC Online brings dramatic news of a 2am evacuation of one of the dorms at Girls Grammar.

Any of our Grammar readers (we know you’re out there) got any more detail on the drama?

UPDATE:GrammarGirl has ridden to our rescue with the following take on things (so I’ve bumped this story back up to the front of the queue):

I have the entire story. At about 1am on Saturday Morning a young chinese year 9 boarder was smoking in her dormitory, and her peers woke up and asked her to stop. She got angry with them and started waving her lighter in their faces as a joke but unfortunately got one of her hanging shirts with the lighter and it set on fire. The girls all panicked and the shirt fell to the floor and so they started throwing more clothes onto it to try and put it out, yet it just fed the fire more so after about 20 minutes of their room burning away they went to get a teacher, and then the teacher hit the fire emergency alarm thing and water was spraying everywhere and it went through all the floorboards and ruined half the boarding house. Yes, Grammar Girls do smoke.

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
14 Responses to
Boarders Escape From Girls Grammar Dormitory Inferno!
blossy 9:14 pm 23 May 05

I’m perhaps feeling a bit more harsh tonight. My solution? Expel the smoker. No more problem

johnboy 8:12 pm 23 May 05

better drills with the fire blankets might be needed perhaps?

GrammarGirl 1:37 pm 23 May 05

Hahaha.. yes.. it is beleived there were… “cultural” differences because the girls who started the fire were Asian students who don’t speak very good english and maybe didn’t understand that throwing clothes on a burning fire will only feed it more?
And indeed yes, the fire was at 2am, not 4am, and many borders lost clothes and laptops etc.. and have therefore been given extensions on current work that is due in the upcoming weeks.
We shall put this trauma behind us. We just had another school fire scare last week, surprise surprise..

Thumper 12:57 pm 18 May 05

hehehehe..Now that is seriously stupid…

Samuel Gordon-Stewar 12:10 pm 18 May 05

Thumper, it’s not as bad as a tradesman I saw who sprayed a set of burning power lines with water…the noise could be heard from quite a distance.

Samuel

Ralph 8:48 am 18 May 05

Yeah I know, you’d hope they’d be teaching them to be a bit more resourceful around the home.

Couple of old girlfriends went to boarding schools. They were useless around the house. One of ’em couldn’t even cook eggs. Definately not good wife material.

Thumper 8:12 am 18 May 05

Threw clothes on the fire to make it stop!

Um, no comment on the IQ stakes….

Canberra_unsung_hero 5:16 am 18 May 05

Oh them ….. right…. (I put a sign on my letterbox – “No more ‘free’newspapers thank you”).

Samuel Gordon-Stewar 12:57 am 18 May 05

Chronicle 😉

Samuel

Canberra_unsung_hero 10:36 pm 17 May 05

Who? The Chronicle or the ABC ?

Samuel Gordon-Stewar 9:54 pm 17 May 05

Interestingly, The Chronicle reports that the fire occured at 4am…wouldn’t be the first thing they got wrong.

Samuel

johnboy 6:46 pm 17 May 05

The tip is much appreciated GrammarGirl!

I don’t think too many people would be surprised to hear Grammar Girls smoke. But I have read there’s a way to make them stop.

Kerces 3:28 pm 17 May 05

Hi Grammar Girl,
Can you contact me at editor@nowuc.com.au about this.
Thanks,
K

GrammarGirl 3:06 pm 17 May 05

I have the entire story. At about 1am on Saturday Morning a young chinese year 9 boarder was smoking in her dormitory, and her peers woke up and asked her to stop. She got angry with them and started waving her lighter in their faces as a joke but unfortunately got one of her hanging shirts with the lighter and it set on fire. The girls all panicked and the shirt fell to the floor and so they started throwing more clothes onto it to try and put it out, yet it just fed the fire more so after about 20 minutes of their room burning away they went to get a teacher, and then the teacher hit the fire emergency alarm thing and water was spraying everywhere and it went through all the floorboards and ruined half the boarding house. Yes, Grammar Girls do smoke.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site