Chemists are a great place to pick up personal care products, such as make-up or vitamins. However, another important role of the chemist is to fill prescriptions and give health advice.
Chemists are often the first place of contact late at night when the doctors are closed and a love one is unwell. At times like this, it can be a relief to have a kind and knowledgeable professional to advise you and provide treatment to alleviate pain and suffering.
In this article, we’ll share with you our picks for the best chemists in the Canberra region.
What Makes a Great Chemist?
When it comes to your health, you don’t want to take the chance of getting poor advice, or worse yet, having a prescription filled out incorrectly.
How can you feel confident that your local chemist is providing you with the best quality care? Here are some traits to look out for.
- Good pharmacist. A good pharmacist is well educated and experienced, as well as kind and genuinely caring. As a patient, you should feel that your needs are always their top priority.
- Attention to detail. All staff that handle scripts or give medical advice should pay close attention to accuracy in filling the script, and should always maintain confidentiality. They must also check for drug interactions and possible allergies.
- Operating hours. Getting prescriptions filled can be a serious concern if you have run out of essential medications. When you need the services of a pharmacist urgently, it’s good to know they are available. Many chemists have are open after-hours, and those associated with hospitals are sometimes open 24 hours.
- Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Often, we don’t need to speak to the pharmacist and we rely on other chemist staff to liaise with them on our behalf. A compassionate and well-trained staff member can help you feel confident that you are getting the care you require. If you feel unsure, always ask to speak to the pharmacist directly.
- Range of products and services. A well-stocked chemist can be a life-saver when they are the only place open and you forgot to buy nappies, or any other essential items. Also look out for a good range of non-essentials, like beauty products and gifts. Chemists offer a range of services that you can take advantage of like blood pressure testing and asthma management.
- Patient-centered. You are considered a patient of your pharmacist. A good chemist will have staff across all levels that always put the welfare of their patients first.
The Top Four Chemists in Canberra
Here are our top picks for chemists in Canberra. All have friendly and professional staff that you can rely on.
Let’s get started.
1. Bounce Pharmacy
Bounce Pharmacy is located in The Canberra Centre in the heart of the city. Bounce offers a range of boutique, high-end beauty brands, as well as professional, friendly staff that can assist you with all your healthcare needs.
Services include beauty specialists, blood pressure monitoring, ear piercing, medication packing, National Diabetes Services Scheme provider, vegan friendly beauty products and vitamins specialists.
Open 9.30am to 6pm Monday to Thursday, until 9pm Friday, until 5.30pm on Saturday and 10am – 5pm Sunday
3. Develins City Chemist
Develins City Chemist is conveniently located in the city at 3/4 Garema Pl, Canberra ACT 2601.
Offering a full range of prescription and healthcare services, their helpful staff can take care of all your needs.
Highly qualified and experienced pharmacists are available at all times to answer any questions you may have about your medications or the best choice of treatment for any minor ailment or injury.
Opening hours are 8.30am – 6pm Monday to Thursday, late until 7pm on Friday and 9am – 4pm on Saturday.
3. Chemist on Northbourne
Chemist on Northbourne is the place to go when you need a late night chemist. They are open 8am – 11pm, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
As well as these fantastic opening hours, they offer prescriptions, a large range of over the counter medication, blood pressure monitoring, an agent for Diabetes Australia, cosmetics, vitamins and perfume, home healthcare equipment, and breast pump hire.
You will find them right in the city centre at 65 Northbourne Ave.
4. City Market Chemist
City Market Chemist is a city-centre pharmacy with a range of services, including asthma management, blood pressure monitoring, complementary health therapies, continence support, diabetes management support, dose administration aids, National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) Access Point, Opioid Treatment, Project STOP, Return of Unwanted Medicines Program and smoking cessation.
Located at The Canberra Centre, they are open from 8am – 7pm Monday to Thursday, late until 9pm Friday and 9am – 6pm Saturday.
Your Experience with Chemists in Canberra
Do you have a favourite chemist in Canberra? We love getting your feedback, so let us know about your experiences in the comments section below.