Inventive, exciting, and absolutely delicious, there is nothing quite like indulging in an expertly crafted cocktail. From tried and true classics to wild specialty creations, it’s always fun to treat yourself to a cocktail or two on the weekend.
To help you find the very best cocktail bars in the Canberra region, we consulted with the locals. They shared their top picks, and we’re ready to pass on the region’s favourites.
So, without further ado, let’s introduce the top four cocktail bars in Canberra and surrounds.
What makes an excellent cocktail bar?
Not entirely sure what you want out of your experience at a cocktail bar? No worries. Here’s our advice: keep an eye out for the following must-have traits.
- Perfectly executed classics. Classic cocktails are classic for a reason – they are tasty, versatile, and always hit the spot. The best cocktail bars in the region execute the classics to absolute perfection.
- Inventive signatures. Who doesn’t love trying a new, innovative cocktail for the first time? The best cocktail bars in Canberra serve up some truly colourful concoctions.
- Great service. Excellent customer service is always a bonus, especially when you’re out for a good time. A rude bartender or waiter can put a serious dampener on the evening.
- Lively atmosphere. All the best cocktail bars boast lively, vibrant atmospheres. You should step inside and immediately feel relaxed, excited, and in a good mood.
- Well-priced.Cocktails can get pricey, but if they are delicious, it’s worth every dollar. Look for a bar that prices its cocktails reasonably, so you know you aren’t getting ripped off.
The top cocktail bars in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
It’s now time to reveal the top cocktail bars in Canberra, according to the locals.
Hidden away in the heart of Canberra’s city centre you’ll find Hippo Co., a sleek, hip, boutique whiskey and cocktail bar. Discover some of the finest drinks in the region, all crafted by creative, passionate, and experienced mixologists. The atmosphere of this stunning cocktail bar is nothing short of lively – think exposed brick walls, live blues music, and friendly banter. The team behind Hippo Co. also offers Cocktail Masterclasses for small groups, so you can try your hand at mixing drinks.
Whimsical, decadent, and memorable, White Rabbit offers a totally unique cocktail experience. Perfect for the young at heart, the artistic team behind White Rabbit service up some of the most interesting, out-of-the-box cocktails in the Canberra area. Drop in on a Sunday for their renowned Tipsy Tea, a delectable spread of sweet and savoury bites served with White Rabbit’s signature cocktails.
Tucked away in the historic Melbourne Building is Bar Rochford. Boasting an elegant, sophisticated interior, this local favourite serves up some of the best drinks and meals in Canberra. Both their food and cocktail menu changes regularly, so there is always something new to try.
Love a good gin and tonic? Head to Tipsy Bull, a ‘fine-ish’ dining restaurant and bar that specialises in gin. They serve up over 230 varieties to sample, with new labels hitting the bar shelves every week. All gins are served with deconstructed botanicals and tailored tonics. You simply won’t get a better G & T anywhere else.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you been to any of the bars listed above? Have you got a favourite cocktail bar? Share your thoughts and feedback below.