22 April 2012

Cooma Tigers monster our Tuggies

| johnboy
Join the conversation

The ACT Football Federation brings the bad news that RiotACT’s Tuggeranong United have gone down 6-1 to the Cooma Tigers.

Come on lads!

Champions Canberra FC was held to a 1-1 draw at Deakin Stadium on Sunday afternoon by a resurgent Canberra City who led until the final four minutes when the title holders got out of jail in the loop Premier League Round 3. Brad Sawyer had given Canberra City the lead in the 24th minute and City looked good for a first win over Canberra FC for many years until the home side was awarded a penalty in the 86th minute. Michael Spaleta confidently converted from the spot to earn the champions a point.

Cooma Tigers returned to the winners circle following their surprise loss to Canberra City last weekend with a convincing 6-1 win over Tuggeranong United at Kambah in front of a healthy crowd. The Tigers showed a ruthless streak and took the majority of the chances that were created by their talented attacking squad with hit man Alex Oloriegbe opening the scoring in the 26th minute and adding his fifth of the year from the penalty spot in the 33rd minute. When new signing Robbie Cattanach made it three just two minutes later it was all over bar the shouting. Tuggeranong hit back with Tim Anderson bundling the ball over the line from close range before Cattanach netted his fourth in two matches to make it 4-1 at the interval. A quick-fire brace to Stephen Domenici blew the score-line out to 6-1 but Tuggeranong were unfortunate not to reduce the gap with Mark Shields wasting a couple of good opportunities as well as seeing his fierce drive crash back off the post.

At Hawker Football Centre meanwhile, Woden Valley showed no signs of a hangover from their 6-1 loss to Canberra FC by holding Belconnen United to a 1-1 draw. The Blue Devils, who were heavy favourites to win, took the lead in the third minute when go-to man Dustin Wells scored his second goal of the season. Far from opening the floodgates though Woden responded and leveled before half-time when American Pete Marlette thrashed an amazing volley from distance into the back of the net. Both teams had chances to win it after the break, with the Blue Devils creating the better opportunities, but neither side could make the breakthrough and the match ended with honours even.

Canberra Olympic moved to within a point of the joint leaders, Canberra FC and Belconnen United, with a routine 2-0 win over Monaro Panthers at the Riverside Stadium. Hristjan Tanoski continued his great run of form with his third goal in two matches to put Olympic ahead but it was a narrow lead and one they were forced to hang onto until three minutes from full-time when young midfielder Jason Ugrinic netted his first goal in the loop Premier League to secure the victory.


Tuggeranong United 1 (Tim Anderson 40’) Cooma Tigers 6 (Alex Oloriegbe 26’, 33’ (pen), Robbie Cattanach 35’, 45’, Stephen Domenici 53’, 62’)

Woden Valley 1 (Pete Marlette 30’) Belconnen United 1 (Dustin Wells 3’)

Monaro Panthers 0 Canberra Olympic 2 (Hristjan Tanoski 14’, Jason Ugrinic 87’)

Canberra FC 1 (Michael Spaleta 86’ (pen)) Canberra City 1 (Brad Sawyer 24’)

Join the conversation

All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments

Not a lot went right on Saturday, but Tuggies will take down Canberra City this week at Hawker, mark my words!! Nice result for the Tuggeranong PL18s with their first win of the season.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.