I’ve had a life-long fascination with food and interesting combinations of textures and tastes using seasonal, natural and healthy ingredients. I often foraged these ingredients from my grandmother’s farm, and now I grow them in my own garden. I have combined this fascination with a holistic and healthy lifestyle for me and my son. My commitment to this lifestyle has led me to establish my business with a focus on a creative cookery. My philosophy is to nurture using simple recipes and seasonal fresh produce that can be appreciated by my wholesale customers and also personal clients at home. I believe my products not only taste great but are also visually stunning. I want to spread my message by sharing selected recipes that are simple and can be enjoyed at home.
Summer delights cake
Light rosemary, lemon, honey, pear, hazelnut summer cake – free of gluten
250 g unsalted butter (soft)
200 g almond meal
80 g gluten free flour
200 g cottage cheese
200 g sugar
Sliced Pear Topping
1 pear, cut into thin slice
1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons honey
300 g cottage cheese
250 g philadelphia light cream cheese
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 lemon – zest
up to 1/4 cup honey (to taste)
crushed hazelnuts, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
2. To make the sliced pear top: Cut pear into thin slices and mix with rosemary. Mix water with honey. On a baking tray, pour honey mixture over cut pears and rosemary. Place the tray in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes, to keep the pear moist. Remove from oven and cool completely.
3. In a bowl (with an electric mixer, if you have one), beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add butter, almond meal, flour, cottage cheese and beat just until combined.
4. Generously coat a nonstick 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Spoon batter into the pan and bake the cake until when inserted with a wooden skewer and comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
5. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out of the pan onto a cutting board or baking sheet, invert cake onto rack so the top side up. Cool completely. Cut cake into two layers.
6. To make the icing: Beat the cream cheese, cottage cheese, honey (depending on how much sweetness you prefer), icing sugar and lemon zest for 1 minute.
7. To assemble: Place a cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the icing. Place second layer on top. Spread remaining icing over the top of the cake, decorate with baked pear, rosemary and crushed hazelnuts.
Enjoy with cup of delicious tea and great company!