Skip to content Skip to main navigation


Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Dragway to go?

By johnboy - 21 December 2006 31

In another interesting snippet from the comments deserving wider scrutiny, Cranky had this offering yesterday:

Slightly off topic.

Stanhope is apparently about to announce that the Dragway has been canned. Problems with Block 51 Majura apparently.

What a great way to spread the criticism re the Bushfires. Communication overload!

Comment by cranky — 20 December, 2006 @ 8:49 pm

A hell of a strategy for taking out the trash, but it is two years until the next election thanks the Brendan Smyth’s genius.

UPDATE: Ah, I should have moved quicker, the Canberra Times has it now.

Another Update: Andrew Barr has put his media release online. Aside from the noise he says it would also cost too much.

“The investigations suggest that it would not be a practical or sound financial option to effect sufficient noise mitigation measures if the noise standards proposed under the draft dragway EPP were applied.

“Detailed technical work undertaken also suggests the facility will require additional funding of up to $3.2million, beyond the $8 million already committed by the Government.”

Mr Barr said the ACT Government has now exhausted all land options and would be writing to the Australian Government to request that they re-lease the former dragway site.

What’s Your opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
31 Responses to
Dragway to go?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
ant 11:32 am 25 Dec 06

I hope they don’t reopen the old one. The noise from that was horrific. And I thought it was Snow (airport bloke) who got rid of the original Dragway?

el 2:21 pm 23 Dec 06

And it’s just come out today in the CT that Defence have received nothing in the way of requests to get the old Dragway site reopened.

equalitarian 6:26 pm 22 Dec 06

If Stan the Man had been serious about honoring his election committment he would have been open to compromise on the proposal.
If the big ,loud cars upset the distant residents and benzine dusted wineries, then negotiate a noise limit with the dragway proponents.
If the whole deal is too expensive, then negotiate a lesser standard venue to be built upon over time using generated income, business sponsors etc.
The shafted motorsport people would have accepted a compromise proposal if they knew it was definitely going to happen.
Instead of wasting time, energy and money fighting pollies, they could have been developing their facility, within the noise boundaries prescribed in an approval agreement.

The whole thing was too open and shut. And the timing was cynical, as stated above.

Ralph 9:45 am 22 Dec 06

No and Yes.

Mr_Shab 8:54 am 22 Dec 06

Two things Ralph:

1. Are you a party hack?
2. Have you seen the ACT Libs recently? Just checking that we’re talking about the same party here.

Maelinar 8:23 am 22 Dec 06

This gives them the opportunity to relocate the dragway site to Epic where it belongs.

I laugh every time I see one of those ‘I’ll vote for a dragway’ stickers on a back window in Canberra…

Thumper 7:42 am 22 Dec 06

Did anyone seriously think that Stanhope and co were going to build a dragway?


I’m ambivelent with regards to the dragway. It doesn’t worry me if it’s built or not. However, if it was f*cking promised, then it should be built. People voted on this issue, unlike statues of Grassby.

They never, ever were going to build it.

j 2:20 am 22 Dec 06

The only party capable of running this town and the rest of the country is Liberal.
what a load of shit .
they are all the same and the sooner you understand its a game to them and if they stuff it up what happends to them .

el 10:27 pm 21 Dec 06

LOL Gurunik.

But yeah, there’s just something about aircraft noise I just love, too.

gurunik 10:24 pm 21 Dec 06

i nuch perfer the dulcet tones of regular jet aircraft flights than the occassional rumble of a shit hot v8.
i live southside cos northside is full of tossers.

barking toad 8:29 pm 21 Dec 06

Yes Ava, heard klundy on radio samuel barely hiding her glee at the “clever” tactic of putting it back to the Federal government to let them have the lease of the old dragway site so they could explore all options.

Carefully ignoring the question of why nohope had reneged (by changing the rules on noise) but not being prepared to admit they can’t proceed because the cupboard’s bare.

I hope the Federal government calls their blindingly obvious bluff and says they can have the site but only for the dragway and it’s got to be developed in 12 months.

That’d fuck ’em.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2018 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | |

Search across the site