Help! Single woman wants engineer.

MsCheeky 27 April 2011 4

Well, I think I do. Why?

Almost 3 months ago, a young lad after a big night out managed to run his big ute into my house and garage causing structural damage. The insurance company, pleading Qld and Victorian disasters took quite a while to assess the claim. They finally provided me with the scope of works proposed by the builder’s assessor, that included demolishing two garage pillars and one porch pillar. I accepted that scope and gave them the go-ahead to engage the builder to fix it. Now it gets sad.

The Siemsen Group who have the job, after almost five weeks, have not yet started work. They have sent a couple of tradies around to look at aspects of the job. I have phoned them and emailed them a number of times to discuss timing and scope and have had no response whatsoever.

A brickie turned up last Thursday and advised that he would be doing the job this week. After a quick look at the job, he told me that only one pillar would need demolishing and rebuilding and the others could be somehow patched.

I’m not happy. I accept that the brickie probably knows how to lay bricks, but I’m not so sure he is qualified to make an assessment of the structural integrity of the project. In light of my discussions with the other tradies that have turned up, they seem to have very diverse views of what part of the job they’re doing, and I am now not at all confident that the project is being managed in any coherent way.

I have a friend who is a builder, but unfortunately he lives in Tasmania. However, I sent him some photos of the damage, and his strong advice is that a structural engineer should be assessing the project. I think that’s sound advice, and I intend to take it.

So, can anyone recommend a structural engineer?

And no, I’m not feeling lucky…

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
4 Responses to Help! Single woman wants engineer.
anonymoose anonymoose 8:19 pm 28 Apr 11

I thought this was the start of a personals column 🙁

taninaus taninaus 8:08 pm 27 Apr 11

Don’t all us single women want good engineers??!!!

I have used John Skurr before and he is good to deal with. Contact details can be found via google

MsCheeky MsCheeky 4:28 pm 27 Apr 11

Thanks MudLark, I did discuss it with the assessor again today and finally managed to also get the attention of the project manager and builder as well – quite put the cat amongst the piegeons. I believe the brickie will now undertake the work according to the scope of works, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on the proceedings.

MudLark MudLark 10:38 am 27 Apr 11

MsCheeky – You need to urgently (TODAY) get back to your insurance company, or the insurance assessor who is handling the matter for them, as the contract is presumably between them and the builder. You have agreed to work being undertaken, but presumably you are not a party to the actual contract. If a report (or an additional report) is required from a structural engineer, then that is something for the insurance company/insurance assessor to arrange and to pay for. A builder/tradesman should not be undertaking work that is not in accordance with the contract.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site