While awaiting sentencing for a robbery and after just being released on bail, a man has now been accused of a dangerous police chase through Canberra.
On Wednesday night (18 October), police were told a Toyota Hilux had been stolen from the Belconnen bus interchange, ACT Policing said.
At around 12:15 am on Thursday morning (19 October), officers saw the stolen Hilux in Macquarie and tried to stop it before a pursuit allegedly started.
It is alleged that during the chase, during which significant police resources were deployed, the driver repeatedly drove at police, drove on the wrong side of the road, repeatedly exceeded the speed limit, failed to stop at multiple intersections and failed to stop for police when directed.
“The stolen vehicle was driven through multiple Belconnen suburbs, Lyneham and eventually came to a stop in Watson with multiple tyres deflated following the use of stop stick devices,” police allege.
Nathaniel Coulin Coulter, a 21-year-old from Moncrieff, had been granted bail by the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday before appearing to limp when he was brought into the same court again on Thursday where he was charged over the alleged police chase.
He was handed single counts of dangerous driving and driving at police as well as two counts of failing to stop for police. He did not enter pleas.
His lawyer, Emilia Currey of the Aboriginal Legal Service, said he would not apply for bail. The prosecutor asked for his bail to be revoked on his previous robbery and drug-related charges.
Special Magistrate Sean Richter revoked Coulter’s bail, remanded him in custody, listed him for sentencing on 14 December for his previous charges and adjourned until 9 November for the fresh charges.