Former Monaro MP John Barilaro has entered not guilty pleas to two charges stemming from a clash with a cameraman outside a Sydney pub.
Mr Barilaro was charged with common assault and destroy or damage property in August following a police investigation.
He did not appear before Manly Local Court today (Wednesday, 12 October) but his lawyer Danny Eid entered pleas on his behalf.
In a statement to Region, Mr Eid said all evidence was to be served to his office by 9 November, but declined to make further comment.
Mr Barilaro had previously addressed the alleged assault on 2GB radio, after video emerged of the 23 July incident on social media.
According to Mr Barilaro, he had gone to a Manly pub with some friends for pizza and drink when he was “confronted in the dark” by a “bright bloody light in my face”.
“All I did was push a camera out of my way. I did not manhandle an individual,” he said at the time.
“If that was you, how would you have responded?”
The matter has been next listed for mention on 7 December.
Meanwhile Mr Barilaro was also facing a potential civil suit from the cameraman involved in the incident, Matt Costello.
Mr Costello was being represented by firm Xenophon Davis.
While the exact amount of compensation being sought still wasn’t confirmed, the firm at the time said it would be “seeking full compensation”.
“With a broken camera and an injured back [Mr Costello] hasn’t earnt a dollar since,” the firm Tweeted on 23 August.
Xenophon Davis partner Mark Davis told Region: “We are after a modest but fair amount for the unwarranted attack upon him.”
The firm was preparing to file its claim shortly.