Thirty-three NSW Police officers have been announced as finalists in the prestigious 2018 Rotary Clubs of NSW Police Officer of the Year Awards, including the South Coast’s Justin Marks.
The category winners and overall Police Officer of the Year will be revealed at a special dinner to be held at the Hyatt Regency, Sydney, today (November 16).
Detective Sergeant Justin Marks from South Coast Police District is up against Inspector David Maher from Orana Mid-Western Police District, and Senior Sergeant Lisa Westwood from Wollongong Police District for the Regional NSW Field Operations, Police Officer of the Year Award.
Det Sgt Marks has had a busy year.
After wrapping the case of high-profile child sex offender, Maurice Van Ryn, who is serving 18 years, Det Sgt Marks was confronted with the Tathra Bushfires on March 18 where around 65 houses were destroyed.
Aside from his police duties, Det Sgt Marks is also a retained firefighter for Fire & Rescue NSW and helped fight the fires of March 18, as well as playing his part in the ongoing community recovery.
With the assistance of detectives from the State Crime Command, Det Sgt Marks is also part of the fire investigation that has followed which is now at a stage where a brief will be presented to the NSW Coroner later this year.
Det Sgt Marks leads a team of four who serve the community from Narooma to the Victorian border.
He is also active at local events including suicide prevention workshops.
A police statement describes him as, “a true regional detective who is well respected by his colleagues and the community.”
Other finalists and categories are:
Metropolitan Field Operations Police Officer of the Year Award
• Leading Senior Constable Daniel Glenn – North Shore Police Area Command
• Senior Constable Rahsan Keles – Auburn Police Area Command
• Senior Constable Steven Day – Blue Mountains Police Area Command
Investigations and Counter Terrorism Police Officer of the Year Award
• Detective Sergeant Jay Locke – Child Abuse & Sex Crimes Squad
• Detective Sergeant John Edwards – Criminal Groups Squad
• Detective Sergeant Joseph Maree – Homicide Squad
Specialist Support Police Officer of the Year Award
• Sergeant Gregory Moon – Forensic Evidence & Technical Services Command
• Senior Constable Katherine Emerson – Traffic & Highway Patrol Command
• Senior Sergeant Raymond Cameron – Police Prosecutions
Corporate Services Police Officer of the Year Award
• Senior Sergeant Barry Cash – Workforce Safety Command
• Sergeant Janelle Widders – NSW Police Academy
• Senior Constable Sascha Benn – Education & Training Command
Employee of the Year Award
• Darryl Hamilton – Mt Druitt Police Area Command
• Lisa Gardner – NSW Police Academy
• Scott Mieni – Mid North Coast Police District
Volunteers in Policing Award
• Harry Scope – Tuggerah Lakes Police District
• Helen Chapman – Kings Cross Police Area Command
• Glen Fanning – Riverina Police District
Rotary Community Award
• Leading Senior Constable Bianca Williams – The Hume Police District
• Chief Inspector Guy Guiana – Hunter Valley Police District
• Chief Inspector Robert Fitzgerald – Blacktown Police Area Command
Customer Service Excellence Award
• Sergeant Aaron Greenwood – Richmond Police District
• Senior Constable Draz Brkljac – Youth & Crime Prevention Command
• Sergeant Scott Mostran – Kings Cross Police Area Command
The Irene Juergens Fellowship Award – Sworn Category
• Sergeant Kelsey Priestley – North Shore Police Area Command
• Senior Constable Raffaelle Frisina – Liverpool City Police Area Command
• Senior Constable Sam Donni – Kings Cross Police Area Command
The Irene Juergens Fellowship Award – Unsworn Category
• Kim Fenwick – St George Police Area Command
• Patricia Owen – Newcastle City Police District
• Seok Ong – Auburn Police Area Command
Original Article published by Ian Campbell on About Regional.