It has been a 1,092-day wait but the first stage of Canberra’s light rail will be ready this Saturday morning (20 April) to take locals on their first ever ride.
The ACT Government is expecting 30,000 people to turn out to ride the first light rail and has allocated more than $100,000 for a community party to mark the public transport milestone.
Before you board your first trip on a LRV this weekend, here are some key dates and numbers to remember:
- Since construction first started on 12 July 2016, nearly 5,000 people have worked on the project, with more than 70 per cent of the project workforce coming from Canberra and the surrounding region.
- It was 385 days between the first and last of the permanent rail for the project was laid, with workers laying 26km of rail and planting over 1200 trees.
- The first of the 14 light rail vehicles arrived from Spain and was given a police escort into the capital in the early hours of 13 December 2017. Less than 24 hours later, it was vandalised.
- Each light rail vehicle is 33 metres long and can carry 207 passengers and seat 66 passengers. They are equipped with heating and air-conditioning systems, Wi-Fi, two priority seats, two dedicated spaces for wheelchairs and four bike racks.
- The seat fabric onboard the LRVs features artwork from Uncle Jimmy Williams that depicts the flight of the bogong moth, an insect that is culturally significant to the local Ngunnawal people.
- Stage one of the light rail is 12 kilometres long, has 13 stops with 442 CCTV cameras along the route. It will take just 24 minutes to travel from Gungahlin Terminus to Alinga St Terminus.
- Each week, the LRVs will complete 1,494 trips of alignment, travel almost 18,000km – which is more than a full trip around Australia – travel through 38,000 intersections and stop at 19,000 stops. Drivers will clock 747 driving hours every week.
LRV run times
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Monday to Thursday 6 am to 11:30 pm
Friday and Saturday 6 am to 1 am
Sunday and Public Holiday 8 am to 11:30 pm