Bosom Buddies is a Canberra-based charity that supports women and their families affected with breast cancer through:
- Psychosocial support
- Social events
- Information sessions
- Partnering newly diagnosed people with those that have experienced breast cancer
- Specialist Breast Care Nurses
- Post-surgery aids
- Blue Buddy Bags
They also endeavour to raise awareness of breast cancer through the creation and distribution of shower tags – a laminated flyer providing information on breast cancer and instructions for performing a breast check.
Kirsty Easdale, Chair of MV Lawyers’ Community Engagement Committee, says “The firm started the chosen charity program because it helps to facilitate our staff in undertaking volunteer work, and contributes to the type of culture we want at Meyer Vandenberg Lawyers. Most of all, it’s about contributing to the ACT and giving back.”
MV Lawyers chooses a charity partner each year based on a company-wide vote. The charity with the highest number of votes wins support for the entire year, with all fundraising activities culminating in a cheque presented in July at the annual Charity Night. Staff who have done the most pro bono work and community work during the year are also recognised with an award.
Previous years’ charities have included The Fly Program, Karinya House and RSPCA ACT.
“For a charity to receive support, it needs to be a registered charitable organisation and focussed primarily on the Canberra region,” says Kirsty. “We used to support many different charities across a year, but found this to be ineffective. This way, we are able to make a substantial difference to one organisation.”
In addition to pro bono legal work, MV Lawyers will run a number of fundraisers this year, including:
- Monthly mufti day with gold coin donation
- Bake sale
- Second-hand clothes auction
- Large contingent to Bosom Buddies’ 80’s themed fundraising event “Pretty in Pink”
- Shaking buckets at a variety of fundraisers
In October, a representative from Bosom Buddies will share important information about breast cancer with MV Lawyers’ staff (for example – did you know that men can get breast cancer too?).
Kirsty says that Bosom Buddies will use the funds raised to:
- Translate the shower tags into 10 different languages
- Produce and distribute more shower tags
- Increase marketing to spread the word and aid in early detection
- Run more Information Sessions
- Help women purchase wigs, sleeping bras, and more
- Fund social activities
It will also be used to fund the Blue Buddy Bags, which are offered to women who have recently undergone surgery and include helpful items, such as seat belt protectors, drainage bags, a comfort pillow, and more.