23 February 2021

One man stabbed to death and three in hospital with "horrific injuries" after incident at Page

| Ian Bushnell
Start the conversation
Crime scene at Page

Police at the crime scene in Page on Monday. Photo: Morgan McGoogan.

Police have confirmed that a 34-year-old who died in a Page house on Saturday was stabbed to death, and a homicide team has been established to investigate the bizarre early morning fracas that left three others in hospital.

Police have not yet released the dead man’s name.

ACT Policing Detective Superintendent, Criminal Investigations Scott Moller said a 36-year-old man arrested at the scene in Braine Street on Saturday was believed to have been responsible for the killing and was the only one armed in what he described as an unusual and complex investigation.

Police said on Saturday that when they arrived the man had rushed them and had to be Tasered.

He and the other two people – a 28-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman – were all taken to hospital with stab wounds and have undergone surgery. All are expected to live.

However, all three were still sedated and police had not had a chance to speak to any of them. No charges have been laid.

“We have arrested the man we believe was responsible for this incident, but due to the nature of his injuries, and the injuries incurred by the two surviving victims, it will be some time before we are able to speak further to them,” Detective Superintendent Moller said.

Detective Superintendent Scott Moller

Detective Superintendent Scott Moller: “It was a terrible scene.” Photo: Ian Bushnell.

Police believe the offender used at least two knives in the initial attack, and a crime scene remains in place in Braine Street while the forensic investigation of the area continues.

Detectives have already interviewed more than 20 witnesses and a search warrant has been executed at the residence where the dead man was found.

Detective Superintendent Moller confirmed the incident occurred in the one house. While he would not go into details about the scene police and ambulance officers confronted, he said there was a lot of blood.

“It was a terrible scene,” he said. “There was a man dead and people with horrific injuries.”

Detective Superintendent Moller said all four did not live in the house and police were still trying to establish the nature of the relationships.

There was no sign of an all-night party or gathering and drugs were not involved.

He said it was fortunate that neighbours contacted the police so soon and appealed to any witnesses to come forward, or contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers ACT website.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.