Our Tuggies beaten again by Canberra FC ='(

johnboy 12 February 2018

This in from Capital Football:

Alex Oloriegbe scored twice as Cooma Tigers recorded a vital 2-0 victory over Belconnen United on a sunny afternoon at Nijong Oval. The Canberra Rockets hit man was at the double in the second stanza to cut the Blue Devils lead to three points at the top of the table and re-ignite the race for the championship.

Oloriegbe netted the opener in the 58th minute with a reactionary header after his initial effort had bounced back off a team mate, causing panic in the Blue Devils area. And, when Oloriegbe bagged his fourteenth goal of the season with nineteen minutes remaining, the home team was in the ascendancy. The second was a result of lax marking at the back by Belconnen who left Oloriegbe unmarked in the penalty area and the striker made no mistake at the second attempt.

Bouyed by the support of Estrella Solitaria boys’ team, in Canberra for the Kanga Cup next week, the Tigers held on as Belconnen attacked at the death seeing efforts from Matt Valeri and Misko Naumoski come back off the woodwork, summing up a frustrating afternoon for Steve Forshaw and his team.

Both Canberra FC and Woden Valley was able to close the gap on the Blue Devils as a result of their loss as both recorded wins on Sunday afternoon. Canberra FC was made to work incredibly hard for their 2-1 win over Tuggernaong United at Kambah 2 with second half goals from Ryan Keir and Michael Spaleta finally overturning United’s 1-0 lead which was given to them as Steven Klug converted past his brother Ben to put Tuggeranong ahead. Matt McDonald saved a Michael Spaleta penalty to preserve the lead before Canberra FC struck twice in a matter of minutes to win the match.

Woden Valley was also forced to come from 0-1 down to see off Monaro Panthers 4-1 at Seiffert Oval. Tim Womack gave the Panthers the lead in the 28th minute from the penalty spot before Peter Marlette equalised on the stroke of half-time. The US import was in stunning form and added a second eight minutes into the second half before Stephen Lee put the match out of reach of the Panthers with the third Woden goal. There was still time for Marlette to complete a hat-trick with his third goal coming eleven minutes from the full-time whistle to complete a good comeback from Pat McCann’s team.

Over at O’Connor Enclosed Canberra Olympic was too strong for Canberra City winning 3-1. Oliver Wiederkehr and Hristjan Tanoski struck in the first half to give Olympic a commanding lead before Sam McDonald pulled one back with his fourth goal of the season. Olympic turned up the heat in the second stanza and eventually secured the points when Victor Yanes made it 3-1 with eleven minutes to spare to keep Olympic on the coat-tails of those in the top four.


Cooma Tigers 2 (Alex Oloriegbe 58’, 71’) Belconnen United 0

Tuggeranong United 1 (Steven Klug 25’) Canberra FC 2 (Ryan Keir 66’, Michael Spaleta 67’)

Canberra Olympic 3 (Oliver Wiederkehr 20’, Hristjan Tanoski 28’, Victor Yanes 79’) Canberra City 1 (Sam McDonald 41’)

Monaro Panthers 1 (Tim Womack 28’ (pen)) Woden Valley 4 (Peter Marlette 45’, 53’, 79’, Stephen Lee 62’)


What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter


Search across the site