12 February 2018

Our Tuggies get a win! Still much work to do

| johnboy
Join the conversation

This in from Capital Football:

Loop Premier League
Round 12

Belconnen United moved three points clear at the top of the loop Premier League after Round 12 with their 2-0 win over Canberra City, coupled with Cooma Tigers 3-3 home draw with Woden Valley putting the Blue Devils clear at the top. Elsewhere a Robbie Deeley special ensured Canberra Olympic snuck past Canberra FC 1-0 at O’Connor Enclosed whilst a double from Mark Shields helped Tuggeranong United to a 4-2 home win over Monaro Panthers at Kambah 2.

Saturday 23rd June 2012

Canberra City 0 Belconnen United 2 (Dustin Wells 74’, 89’)

Belconnen United ensured that they would remain at the top of the loop Premier League after Round 12 by defeating Canberra City 2-0 at Hawker Football Centre on Saturday afternoon. Key man Dustin Wells, a part of the Canberra Rockets representative squad, netted both goals late in the second half to put the Blue Devils clear at the top ahead of Cooma Tigers home game with Woden Valley 24 hours later. Belconnen were dominant throughout the ninety minutes but lacked the craft and guile to create in the final third of the field with City, fresh from their 2-6 humbling by Tuggeranong United, defending with stoic vigour and putting their bodies on the line to deny the visitors the lead. It was perhaps inevitable though that Belconnen would eventually make the breakthrough and it arrived sixteen minutes from time when Wells found the space to fire his team ahead with his tenth goal of the season. It was a hammer blow to City who, up until that point, had looked like they might ride the storm and come away with a draw. However, any hopes that the home team had of getting an unlikely point evaporated in the final minute of the game when Wells scored his eleventh of the year to put Belconnen 2-0 ahead and keep them top for at least another week.
Canberra City: 33. James Ward, 2. Luke Hartin, 3. James Perry, 5. Romeo Romeo, 6. Adam Dobell, 7. Ryan Kyprianou, 8. Ben Doyle, 10. Ross Edwards, 11. Marc O’Neill, 17. Matt Phillips, 16. Grant Davoren
Substitutes used: 4. Michael Sydney, 12. Ben Harrington, 15. Henry Williams
Belconnen United: 20. Rowan Shepherd, 2. Milan Popovich, 3. Dustin Wells, 4. Jack Green, 5. Elliot Zwangobani, 6.Misko Naumoski, 8. Cameron Reinhart, 9. Ryan Jones, 11. David Kemp, 12. Matt Valeri, 18. Jack Blackley
Substitutes used: 10. Michael Reeve, 14. Bernard Rene, 16. Zach Maybury
Discipline: YELLOW CARDS: None
Match Officials: Greg Taylor (referee), Samantha Ockerby, Justin Cho

Sunday 24th June 2012

Tuggeranong United 4 (Mark Shields 7’, 90’, Sam Griffiths 55’, Tim Anderson 84’) Monaro Panthers 2 (Daniel Cobertaldo 16’, 17’)
Tuggeranong United ultimately secured all three points at Kambah 2 on Sunday afternoon but were made to work hard for the maximum return by a fired-up Monaro Panthers with the match only being decided in the final seven minutes. United got off to a flyer with the opening goal in the seventh minute as Mark Shields ghosted in behind the defence to glance a perfect header from a Matt Menser cross past Rade Kosanovic and into the corner of the net. The Panthers responded well and Daniel Cobertaldo equalised in the 16th minute after bustling through a couple of weak tackles to slot home. Cobertaldo doubled his, and the Panthers tally, sixty seconds later when Tony Haider broke down the right flank and crossed low for the young midfielder to slam home from close range. Cobertaldo really should have made it three when he broke clear again but wasted a glorious chance trying to pass when a shot would surely have made it 3-1. The Panthers were made to pay for this as Sam Griffiths smashed home the leveller ten minutes into the second half with a fierce shot and substitute Tim Anderson put Tuggeranong ahead seven minutes from time with a delightful lob from a Luke Shepherd pass. The match was sealed in stoppage time as Shields rounded Kosanovic to slot his eleventh of the season and make it 4-2.
Tuggeranong United: 1. Sean Potter, 2. Steven Klug, 3. Chris Ruiz, 5. Sam Turner, 6. Zac Lawrence, 7. Matt Menser, 8. Tim Stewart, 9. Cameron Doherty, 10. Mark Shields, 11. Sam Griffiths, 12. Tim Ireson
Substitutes used: 4. Sean Kiddey, 14. Tim Anderson
Monaro Panthers: 1. Rade Kosanovic, 2. Elia Salloum, 3. Jake Stein, 4. Bradley Green, 5. Tm Crossley, 6. Mathew Cachia, 7. Luke Gibson, 8. Daniel Cobertaldo, 9. Tyson Cottam, 10. Tim Womack, 11. Tony Haider
Substitutes used: 12. Cameron Dalzell, 13. T. Bonneau, 14. Zizzi Haridemos
Discipline: YELLOW CARDS: None
Match Officials: Richard Naumovski (referee), Brett Woodford, Daniel Rajic

Cooma Tigers 3 (Alex Castro 18’, 26’, Robbie Cattanach 34’) Woden Valley 3 (Peter Marlette 13’, 59’, Simon Hinde 25’)
Cooma Tigers hopes of keeping in touch with Belconnen United at the top of the loop Premier League following the Blue Devils success on Saturday afternoon were dealt a blow as Woden Valley held them to a deserved 3-3 draw at Nijong Oval. In an end to end match most of the scoring took place in the opening forty-five minutes as the Tigers led 3-2 at the break only for Woden to peg them back. It was the visitors who took the lead in the 13th minute when Peter Marlette struck but it took Cooma only five minutes to equalise as Alex Castro took a Robbie Cattanach pass to round the ‘keeper and score. Woden re-took the lead in the 25th minute when Simon Hinde unleashed a ferocious effort from distance that bounced early and deceived Francis Bangweni in the Cooma goal. The Tigers faithful needn’t have worried though as they were back on terms within sixty seconds. Stephen Domenici was the architect skipping to the edge of the box to cut back to Castro who placed his shot to perfection for 2-2. In an exciting half it was Cooma who led at the break when Castro fed Cattanach who raced past a defender and slotted the ball underneath the advancing Evan Alexandrow-Ridley. Woden made sure they came away with a share of the spoils though in the 59th minute as Marlette netted his eighth of the season to bring the game all-square at 3-3.
Cooma Tigers: 1. Francis Bangweni, 2. Phil Yarnold, 3. Jordano San Martin, 4. Serdan Bircan, 5. Tony Aleksovski, 6. Dom Colucciello, 8. Iain Elliott, 9. Alex Castro, 10. Robbie Cattanach, 11. Stephen Domenici, 12. JP D’Ambrosio
Substitutes used: 7. Alex Oloriegbe, 14. Goran Josifovski, 15. Gustavo Roldan
Woden Valley: 1. Evan Alexandrow-Ridley, 2. Sam Ossato, 3. Luke McGrath, 4. Ben Pagett, 6. Samale Mohamed, 7. Regan Walsh, 8. Simon Hinde, 11. Peter Marlette, 12. Nick Humphries, 13. Stephen Lee, 17. Nick Hamilton
Substitutes used: 10. Mouad Zwed, 14. Josh Calabria
Discipline: YELLOW CARDS:
Match Officials: Owen Goldrick (referee), Tom Wodzinski, Pat Holloway

Canberra Olympic 1 (Robbie Deeley 75’) Canberra FC 0
Canberra FC has dropped nine points behind the league leaders Belconnen United after stumbling to a 1-0 defeat against Canberra Olympic at O’Connor Enclosed. The decisive moment of the match arrived fifteen minutes from time as Canberra Rockets representative Robbie Deeley collected the ball midway inside the Canberra FC half to unleash a stunning effort that flashed into the net and condemned the champions to their fourth defeat of the season and their first under new coach Miro Trninic. It would appear that there are underlying concerns in the champion’s camp and their mute surrender will be a cause for concern. Most of the match was played in midfield with chances at a premium at both ends as Olympic defended well and broke with no little pace and aplomb. Neither side could find the breakthrough until Deeley’s moment of magic in the 75th minute. The result keeps alive Canberra Olympic’s hopes of making the top four and sneaking into the finals as they moved to within a point of Woden Valley and Canberra FC knowing that they have their destiny in their own hands. For Canberra FC, next week’s home match with Cooma Tigers takes on even greater significance.
Canberra Olympic: 1. Angelo Konstantinou, 2. Hristjan Tanoski, 3. Nathan Megic, 4. Joel Valtonen, 5. Justin Selkirk, 6. James Field, 7. Robbie Deeley, 8. Nick Bobolas, 10. Victor Yanes, 11. Nick Sallecchia, 13. Robbie Schroder
Substitutes used: 9. Oliver Wiederkehr, 12. Jason Ugrinic
Canberra FC: 18. Ben Klug, 3. Aaron Evans, 4. Izach Clements, 5. Nathan Evans, 6. Ryan Keir, 9. Michael Spaleta, 13. Daniel Bennett, 16. Matt Grbesa, 17. Aidan Brunskill, 19. Adam Spaleta, 20. Domenic Giampaolo
Substitutes used: 11. Ivan Pavlak, 15. Nicky Rogers
Discipline: YELLOW CARDS: 3. Nathan Megic (Canberra Olympic)
Match Officials: Gary Vandeburgt (referee), Justin Cho, Vinh Nga-Do


Join the conversation

All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments

Great result, two on the trot, great to see. Bring on Woden next week.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.