Our Tuggies smashed in a weekend of sporting misery

johnboy 12 February 2018

This in from Capital Football:

Loop Premier League
Round 15

Canberra Olympic staged a remarkable comeback to earn a 2-2 draw with Cooma Tigers at Nijong Oval on Sunday afternoon in Round 15 of the loop Premier League. Two goals in the final five minutes of stoppage time ensured an astonishing end to a match in which the Tigers looked certain to claim all three points.

Livewire striker Alex Oloriegbe gave Cooma the perfect start with a penalty on five minutes and he added his sixteenth goal of the season thirteen minutes later to put Cooma in control. However Nick Bobolas struck with time running out to give Olympic hope before a penalty in the 95th minute converted by Victor Yanes earned the visitors a point.

Belconnen United turned in a routine performance at Kambah 2 on Saturday afternoon as they saw off the challenge of Tuggeranong United 4-1 to stay in command of the loop Premier League table and cement their position as favourites for the league title. Tuggeranong, who dismissed Coach Jeremy Butler earlier in the week, were never really in touch with the Blue Devils despite reducing the gap to 2-1 in the 63rd minute.

The Blue Devils had taken the lead in the 11th minute as Matt Valeri swept in a beauty of a shot from 35 metres that left young goalkeeper Andrew Ciszek grasping thin air as the ball crashed into the net off the underside of the crossbar. The experienced Valeri was at it again in the second half, volleying neatly past Ciszek from inside the box before Alex Weber reduced the deficit with his third goal of the season.

The home team was really only back in it for less than sixty seconds though as Belconnen responded immediately as Zach Munster casually rolled in goal number three. Substitute Michael Reeve completed the scoring with seven minutes to go as he collected a Taylor Beaton cross and coolly picked his spot, sliding his effort into the corner to make it 4-1 and secure three more precious points.

Canberra FC scored three times in three minutes to defeat Monaro Panthers 5-1 at the Riverside Stadium in a patchy performance. Ryan Keir gave the champions an early advantage before a freak equaliser from Jake Stein brought the Panthers level. A goal from Adam Spaleta on the stroke of half-time put Canberra FC ahead again and they held that advantage until the final eight minutes. A stunning return of three goals in as many minutes from Ian Graham, Danai Gapare and Ivan Pavlak ended Monaro hopes and secured the points for the visitors.

An inspired substitution from Pat McCann helped Woden Valley to a 2-2 draw with Canberra City as Sean Murphy came off the bench to head the leveler in the 80th minute. Earlier Ross Edwards had side-footed City ahead before a penalty from Peter Marlette, his thirteenth goal of the season, had the home team back on terms. City started the second half brightly as Sam McDonald forced in a goal after a bruising run before Murphy’s moment. The dismissal of Lachlan Nichols for a second yellow card meant that Woden was holding on for the point in what was an even match.


Tuggeranong United 1 (Alex Weber 63’) Belconnen United 4 (Matt Valeri 11’, 59’, Zach Munster 64’, Michael Reeve 83’)

Cooma Tigers 2 (Alex Oloriegbe 5’ (pen), 18’) Canberra Olympic 2 (Nick Bobolas 89’, Victor Yanes 95’ (pen))

Woden Valley 2 (Peter Marlette 42’ (pen), Sean Murphy 80’) Canberra City 2 (Ross Edwards 14’, Sam McDonald 46’)

Monaro Panthers 1 (Jake Stein 30’) Canberra FC 5 (Ryan Keir 6’, Adam Spaleta 45’, Ian Graham 82’, Danai Gapare 83’, Ivan Pavlak 84’)


What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter


Search across the site