Just in case you hadn’t hauled in what an environmental dark age the “GFC” was going to usher in Andrew Barr has announced that he’s going to make it easier for Canberras dodgy builders to do whatever the hell they like:
- “These further improvements to planning approval processes are a direct result of ACTPLAn, an initiative developed in response to issues raised at last year’s building roundtable. A key outcome of the roundtable was the establishment of the Industry Monitoring Group, designed to ensure the ACT Planning and Land Authority (ACTPLA) works more closely with the building industry to tackle to local impacts of the global financial crisis,” Mr Barr said.
The key actions of ACTPLAn are:
1. Immediately re-deploying senior ACTPLA staff to clear backlogs of Development Applications when they occur
2. Assigning expert staff to ACTPLA’s shopfronts to help people lodge their applications
3. Allowing more flexible assessment and approval of run-of-the-mill applications such as those for roof colours and the installation of flagpoles and
4. Making changes to the Territory Plan that will see around 30 per cent of single dwelling Development Applications more quickly assessed without sacrificing planning standards.
“ACTPLA has moved swiftly to implement these measures, with the fourth effective from today. The new technical variation to the Territory Plan means that for new single dwellings, people need only seek referrals from utilities such as ACTEW before building starts. Previously applicants needed to seek these referrals both at the building approval stage and the development application stage.
But y’know. Keeps blokes in utes off the streets.