ACT Policing has arrested two men after they were allegedly caught driving on cancelled licences and each with an extremely high Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) today (April 26).
ACT Policing’s Superintendent Mark Colbran said this behaviour is extremely reckless.
“Both these men were driving on cancelled licences. This simply reinforces research in the ACT that people who drive with suspended or cancelled licences are also more likely to engage in other high risk behaviour that puts the safety of all ACT road users at risk,” Superintendent Colbran said.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
“These incidents demonstrate that people who are tempted to drive unlicenced are also willing to drive drunk.
“We urge the community to join with the police to help stop this type of the behaviour to help keep the road toll down. If any member of the community is aware of anyone who drives when their licence is either disqualified or cancelled, I urge them to contact either police or Crime Stoppers, and we will take action. Getting these drivers off the road before they have a chance to commit other dangerous offences will help reduce our serious injury and fatal collision rate in the ACT,” he said.
Around 4.43am police approached a 22-year-old Fraser man behind the wheel of a white Holden Commodore on Ernest Cavanagh Street in Gungahlin. The man’s initial test was allegedly above the legal limit and he was taken to Gungahlin Police Station where he recorded a BAC of 0.234 grams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood; almost 12 times the legal limit for a cancelled driver.
Earlier in the night a 23-year-old Theodore man was found to be driving with an alleged BAC of 0.089 on Bunda Street, Civic. He was stopped just after midnight when police observed him allegedly drive through a stop sign in a silver Subaru.
He was subject to a drink-driving test and then transported to City Police Station where he produced the alleged BAC of 0.089; more than four times over the legal limit for a cancelled driver.
Both alleged offenders were driving on cancelled licences and defined as special drivers limiting them to a BAC of 0.02. They were placed under arrest, transported to the ACT Watch House and bailed to appear before the ACT Magistrates Court at a later date.
Police will continue to target drink driving over the Anzac holiday period.
ACT Policing has arrested a 38-year-old Harrison man following the alleged forced entry of a Ngunnawal residence and the assault of a 42-year-old man.
Around 10.45pm yesterday (April 25) two men allegedly broke into the residence. The victim, who was in bed at the time, attempted to fight off the alleged offenders but fell to the floor where he was kicked a number of times. The alleged offenders then left the house in a dark-coloured sedan.
The frame the front door was shattered and an interior door leading to the victim’s bedroom was kicked off its hinges during the incident. The victim sustained bruising and abrasions.
AFP Forensics Services attended and examined the scene.
Investigations are continuing as to the identity of the second offender.
The 38-year-old alleged offender will appear before the ACT Magistrates Court today (April 26) charged with aggravated burglary with the intent to cause harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and property damage.