- ACT Policing is seeking witnesses to an assault on a 32-year-old Reid woman which occurred around 12am today in Reid (October 31).
The incident took place as the woman was walking to the Monterey apartments on Boolee Street. The victim was struck from behind and shoved in the back, resulting in the woman falling to the ground and hitting her head on the concrete. The offender then took her hand bag before leaving the area.
Police called an ambulance and the woman was conveyed to the Calvary Hospital where she was diagnosed with a fracture to the base of her skull.
The victim was unable to provide police with a description of the offender.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
- Members from ACT Policing and the Australian Federal Police’s (AFP) National Missing Person’s Coordination Centre (NMPCC) will walk with Giralang Primary School students today (October 31) for the ‘Day for Daniel’.
Following the high-profile abduction of 13-year-old Daniel Morcombe from Queensland in December 2003, his parents, Bruce and Denise, established the Daniel Morcombe Foundation to raise awareness of child safety across Australia.
Over the past few years, the NMPCC has supported Daniel’s Foundation through cross-promotional activities such as today’s event at Giralang Primary School.
Deputy Chief Police Officer, Commander Kevin Zuccato – who will walk with the students – welcomed their contribution to a worthy community issue.
“The AFP is proud to be involved with an event that promotes the safety of our youth and encourages continued community response to Daniel’s disappearance nearly five years on,” Commander Zuccato said.
“While Daniel’s case is a high-profile one, we as police, parents, teachers and family play a role in ensuring every child in our care is made aware of the potential dangers in our community and knows how to deal with it,” Commander Zuccato said.
Commander Zuccato will be joined by Constable Kip Koala, the AFP’s mounted cadre and the students for the walk around the school grounds.
As a sign of support for Daniel and the Foundation, the students will wear something red for the walk – the Foundation’s signature colour.
- ACT Policing is concerned regarding traffic offence statistics from an operation conducted in the last week. Almost 160 fines were issued to people driving while on mobile phones or for occupants of vehicles not wearing seat belts.
Between Wednesday October 22 and Wednesday October 29, inclusive, police issued 71 fines to people driving while using a hand held mobile phone. In the same period 88 fines were issued for drivers or passengers not wearing seat belts.
Other offences also continue to be of concern, with a man caught travelling at more than twice the speed limit during this period. The man was caught driving at 169km/h in an 80km/h zone on the Monaro Highway.
Traffic Superintendent Mark Colbran voiced his concerns on the high statistics.
“I am astounded that so many people continue to risk their lives and the lives of other members of our community by using hand held mobile phones while driving.
“It is also highly concerning that people continue to ignore the long-standing laws on the mandatory wearing of seatbelts. Evidence clearly shows that wearing a seat belt reduces serious injury and saves lives,” Supt Colbran said.
In addition to its campaign against driving while on the mobile phone and the non wearing of seat belts, ACT Policing will be continuing to conduct random and targeted breath testing all over Canberra, joining forces with NSW Police for various cross border road safety operations in the lead up to Christmas.
The fine for not having a seat belt properly fastened is $249 + 3 points. The fine for using a hand held mobile phone is $237. The fine for exceeding the speed limit by more than 45 km/h is $1,637 + 6 points.
If you can help police contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or report online via www.act.crimestoppers.com.au.